HybridZ

Need help with Rims/Tires to buy

Hey Guys,

I am short before buying my first Z, should be a early one, max 1974.

As of my budget and plan for the final product, I am thinking in buying also directly new rims and tires for, if I come to LA next month.

Now I need some help in finding the right ones, as I have of course no experience in Z sizes, models, and possibilitys.

What it makes also much difficult, is that I am thinking in using ZG flares, I like the optic, and also the classic optic without them. So my current idea and also first question to you all is, for a dimension what fits both possibilitys.

What I don't like, are rims and tires what comes far out of the cars shape, they should be in the shape of the fender, the best would be close to the outer maximum if I look from above down the fenders. Hopfully you understood my poor english, and what I try to explain :wink:

If I have or should have to use different wheel sizes depending on the flares, is the smaller thing, more important is to me the rim I think.

I like the Panalook, but more or less if the rims are a bit cheaper is "not bad".

On Ebay I found these, what are available in different sizes: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ROTA-WHEEL-RB-16X7-04-4X114-3-73-ROYAL-GUNMETAL-240Z-/300530372327?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45f9018ee7

What do you think about, and would they fit on front and rear? Different sizes?

Also I am thinking on 16" or 17", 16" looks more classic, 17" a bit to modern. What dou you think about?

Would be great if someone could help me out with this.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Edited by Jochen

Here read up in this thread.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/57565-rota-rbrb-r-4x1143-17-z-offset-wheels/

They are specifically built with the correct offsets for S30's. They fit perfect with ZG flares.

I purchased a set of these. Excellent service and extremely fast shipping.

here is a quick pic when I first bolted them up.

Picture075.jpg

Edited by padam07

Thanks for the Info,

read now so many pages that my eyes are rotating... 36 page..

I found this link in the thread: http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/86223-shnipplelickens-73-240z/page__st__60 and I like the 17/8,5 size.

Unfortunately I do not found the tiresizes what are mounted here.

On your picture I think you have the 17/9,5? Think they are to wide without flares?

Wich offset should I take with 8,5 and standard suspension? Max tiresize I would like to have 245 in the rear, and 215 or 225 in the front.

Thanks for any helpful comment!

Joe

I got a nice set of SSR Reverse Mesh 15s with a real nice lip on them. Especially the rears. I think they are 15x7 for the front and 15x8 on the rear. These are JDM wheels, you don't see them everyday. The mesh center is black. The tires on them are ****.

Remember, that once your flare the car its costs a lot of money to go back to the original style. Also, a larger wheel and tire combination is not always better on the S30. Without modifying the suspension pickup locations on the chassis you're limited to a about 610mm overall tire diameter if you want the car to handle well. IMHO, 225/50-15 on an 8" wide wheel is about perfect for a S30 making up to 225 horsepower. Here's a picture of my old 240Z with those size tires;

CoffeyBTW.jpg

And the same car with a lot more horsepower, ZG flares, and 275/45-16s:

RODatLVMS.jpg

Hey Guys,

thanks for your comments!

@Montezuma, do you have pictures from your combination on the Z?

@JohnC, good hint about the suspension and Tirediameter. Your Z with 15" looks great, wich rims/wheels do you have on that picture on the front?

I like the style with ZGs, but I think as "first step" in my Z life, I would like to go without them. This was the reason for my opening post, for a combination what mekes sense with and without ZGs.

But I think, I will take 15 or 15 inch, with 225 on the back, and XXX on the front. Do you use 215/XX or 205/XX?

On 16" I suggest 225/45/?

Thanks Joe

Doublepost...

Btw. does somebody know an tireshop in SoCal with an onlineshop WITH prices?

Searched the web, but can only finde some with "ask for best price"... just want to have an pricefeeling on the tires.

Thinking currently in 15/8 w 225/50 or 16/8 with 225/45 on the rear, but on the front... 215?

Edited by Jochen

If you going to run the original size springs then you'll have to run a 15 x 7 wheel. 15 x 8s really only fit if you're running coil voer 2.5" ID springs. A 225/50-15 is fine on a 7" wide rim.

Most of us shop at http://www.tirerack.com and, depending on when and where you're going in LA, you can have them drop shipped to my shop and you can pick them up anytime.

And the rims I ran on both pictures were custom. The first pic has Monocoque (now Bogart) 15 x 8 with 4.5" backspace - 10.1 lbs. each. The second picture had custom Kodiak 16 x 10" with 5.5" backspace - 15.2 lbs. each.

Hey Guys,

it's so great here!!!

Thanks thanks thanks for all the comments, and JohnC, that was the offer I was waiting for :wink: as I would like to order some rims and tires before I come to the states in three weeks, put them on the car as "antitheft" until shipping, and put the original ones into the car or container.

As I see your Webpage, do you have possibilitys to mount the tires on the rims, or should I go to a local garage?

About the suspension, I was thinking on Eibach Springs and some shocks. Maybe later some Springovers but currently more the stock way.

What Shock do you recommend for the Eibachs, or do you suggest other springs?

Would like to have it on the front a bit deeper as on the back.

Thanks and best regards fron an really amazed Joe :wink:

Found this Rota on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-ROTA-RB-16X7-4X114-3-ET10-73-1-GUN-METAL-RIMS-WHEELS-/110658824331?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19c3c7a88b

in 16/7 ET4, ET10 and ET22 available. Would like to run 225/50/16 all around. Wich ET is better to use?

Thanks!

Edited by Jochen

One additional Question I have, surfed through the MSA Stora, because the Kö*** rewinds in 16x7 are also nice (I don't like the 8-lug design from the XXRs) and they wrote that 215/50/16 is the maximum size for these rims?!

I would like to order 225/50, did I get any problems with this size an a styndard (Tokico or Eibach) Suspension??