HybridZ

Does transmission matter with L28ET if I don't hard launch it?

dpuma8

From what I have read, a Borg Warner T-5 transmission is needed with the L28ET engine because it is stronger. The problem for me though is it is really hard to find a T-5 in decent shape but there are a lot of 5 speed NA transmissions available. I rarely ever launch the car from a standstill and usually accelerate faster on the freeway.

Will a NA transmission work in my situation if I don't stomp on it from a standstill but instead stomp on it on the freeway?

From what I have read, a Borg Warner T-5 transmission is needed with the L28ET engine because it is stronger. The problem for me though is it is really hard to find a T-5 in decent shape but there are a lot of 5 speed NA transmissions available. I rarely ever launch the car from a standstill and usually accelerate faster on the freeway.

Will a NA transmission work in my situation if I don't stomp on it from a standstill but instead stomp on it on the freeway?

Its not needed, at all. I used the NA transmission for a while to great effect, no problems. Also keep in mind that you have a lot more options besides the stock 5 speed (240sx trans, Z31/32 trans, etc). All the answers are here if you search more.

Edited by Oddmanout84