HybridZ

Urethane Air Dam

ransomnotes

I have a urethane air dam I purchased from another member here. It's supposed to be an older MSA one. Had never been mounted before, so it's pretty much new. I have it mounted as straight as I can get it. Everything lines up right, but the passenger side sits higher off the ground than the drivers side. The middle also points upward a bit, so it looks a little wavy if your looking head on. I managed to even out the middle pretty good by adding some support where the lower grill mount is. I bolted the backside of the air dam to that point hoping it would help pull in the passenger side too. But it's still off.

I was wondering if heating the air dam with a good hair dryer or a heat gun will allow me to bend it to where it should be? I read somewhere to heat it and then cool once you get it where you want. Maybe holding into place with wooden blocks or something after it's heated. I just don't know if it will actually hold it's shape after it's been heated and bent to where I need it. Anyone else run into this issue?

Sorry, it's a tight fit in the garage, so this is the best pic I can get right now. I'll post another one later today.

img00995201103241150.jpg

Edited by ransomnotes

Get a heat gun instead of the hairdryer to make your job easier. Once it's heated up you'll be able to form it pretty easily. I've used the butt end of a screwdriver since the surface is quite hot.

Once it's in the shape you want hit it with some cold air--compressed air works great, and the part will keep the shape you've formed it in to. Urethane is very resilient so if you mess up once just heat it up again and try until you get what you want.

Great, thanks! I had already started giving it heat with my wife's hair dryer, and pulling down on the passenger side with some weight. Figured I'd give the hair dryer a try since that's all I had to work with tonight. I clamped near the duct and hung some weight from the clamp while heating the area. It's cold tonight so I just let it sit for a while to cool down with the clamp still attached. Just checked it and I think I got it. It's hard to tell for sure until I can pull it out of the garage tomorrow and take a look in the driveway, but it definitely looks more even with the other side now. :D

BTW I love your 510!

Thanks, just got a bonus so a few new things coming.

Sounds like it's working out for you. If it still needs some more persuasion and you don't have access to an air compressor, you could always used the canned air that's used to clean off computers, keyboards, etc. It's quite cold.