HybridZ

Not turning over 240z

hey everyone i just bought a 73 240z was driving fine one day down the freeway to work then all of a sudden i felt a loss in power then my engine my a nasty (someone threw a rock in your tranny sound) then eventually died, so i pushed it into a parking lot and and tried to crank it, all it was making was a tick tick sound but it even did it while in assecory, then my starter started to smoke, so i replaced the starter and still when in assecory it makes a tick tick sound then when i crank it, it still wont even try to turn over, anyone have any ideas on what might be goin on?

A ticking started can sometimes be a sign of a bad battery. If the battery is dead, the the alternator could also be suspect. The noise you described could mean something much worse happened though, like the engine breaking a connecting or some such horrible thing. Id recommend you start by checking out your battery though.

You ran it out of oil and froze the motor? If you literally smoked the starter and replaced it and it still wont turn over, see if you can turn the motor over by hand.

27mm socket on the front of the motor (damper) with a big 1/2" breaker bar should easily spin the motor with the plugs out.

Edited by JSM