HybridZ

Wireing woes!!

I have tried hiring someone to wire up my datsun so I could see my dash light up, headlights turn on, and maybe even start the darn thing but they show up give me a quote and never return. I am looking for a helping hand from the fellow forum members. I am a total newb when it comes to wiring and feel WAY overwhelmed. I have a 1975 280z with a 260z dual webber motor.

Im such a retard with this wiring I am unsure of what questions to even ask.....

What needs wired to be running carbs really. I have positive to starter and from starter to alternator. I also can only get my windshield wipers to work. No dash lights or anything. All of my fuses seem to be good. Ill take a picture of all the plugs that I have no idea what they go to.

Did you check all the fusible links in front of the battery? This is a good write up with pics to show how to upgrade. You can also use this to determine if any are bad with a simple ohm meter from wal-mart.

Did you check all the fusible links in front of the battery? This is a good write up with pics to show how to upgrade. You can also use this to determine if any are bad with a simple ohm meter from wal-mart.

Im not sure i even have these? Are they suppposed to be in the engine bay, or are you talking about the one in the cabin of the car under the glove box?

The original 75 should have came with them. Unless during the 260z swap with carbs they ripped all the FI stuff out. Still though they would need to be there, somewhere unless they hardwired without fuses.

Strange. I thought I put this in my first post.

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/fusiblelinks/index.html

Edited by JSM

The original 75 should have came with them. Unless during the 260z swap with carbs they ripped all the FI stuff out. Still though they would need to be there, somewhere unless they hardwired without fuses.

Strange. I thought I put this in my first post.

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/fusiblelinks/index.html

In that link you posted, the first picture on the page, I have what they have labeled as 2 (there is 2 of them). What I dont have is what they have labeled as 3 and 4. I also dont have the cylinder that is bolted to the strut tower, or the "thing" (sorry) just to the right of the cylinder. Ill take a photo tom. and post it up to display what I have.

I did get quoted 350 bucks to have my car wired up for me but if I could do it myself obviously doing a build like mine I could most def. use that money elsewhere.

These are your two fuseable link blocks. They are normally bolted to the Engine side compartment. You've got quite a mess there.

You also have some strange box connected to the block which may be some type of fuse? Check the continuity of the wires (Fuses) between each pole they are connected too. If you don't get connectivity replace it.

EDIT: What is the plug above the top Red cirlce for?

junk.jpg

Edited by JSM

These are your two fuseable link blocks. They are normally bolted to the Engine side compartment. You've got quite a mess there.

You also have some strange box connected to the block which may be some type of fuse? Check the continuity of the wires (Fuses) between each pole they are connected too. If you don't get connectivity replace it.

EDIT: What is the plug above the top Red cirlce for?junk.jpg

I just moved all of those wires up to the block so you could see all the wires better.

That plug that you speak of, I have no idea either haha.

Did you do a continuity check on the fuses (wires) in the red circles? The ones with wire spades on them, that the yellow arrows are pointing to.

Is there a wire (fuse) missing where the ? mark is in the top circle that drew in? There needs to be a wire there.

There should be two wires on the bottom circle. You should be testing 4 fuses total.

junk-1.jpg

Edited by JSM

Did you do a continuity check on the fuses (wires) in the red circles? The ones with wire spades on them, that the yellow arrows are pointing to.

Is there a wire (fuse) missing where the ? mark is in the top circle that drew in? There needs to be a wire there.

There should be two wires on the bottom circle. You should be testing 4 fuses total.

junk-1.jpg

There was a wire missing on the one fuse on top. The other fuse thats circle there is jumper wires and if you follow the jumper wires down to the oil filter there is some fuse type deal rest on the oil filter in that picture too.

I have not yet checked the continuity.

What's strange is you say your car is a 75 and the write up on upgrading only shows 1 fusible link block, but yours has two blocks?

Either way, you have to have a fuse there or power will not go through the harness. If it continues to blow the fuse when you put a fuse on it, you have a dead short somewhere, meaning a postive wire off that circuit is touching negative ground somewhere in the car.

This issue asside, you may want to find a good used harness and replace the current one if you keep having issues. Who knows what the previous owner has done. Or trace back every wire through the FSM wiring diagram. There's not that many wires since your running carbs.

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/wiringdiagrams/75_280z_wiring.pdf

I have a few harnesses as is. The car is a 75 280 but I got the motor and harness from a 260. I feel so lost on this part. If you have seen some of my other posts I can do some good body work but this wiring makes me feel like an idiot. I have so many pugs in my harness that I have no clue what they go to.

It's all good. We all have our strenghts and weaknesses. Body work is definitely not my strength, yikes!

At least we can edit pics and draw arrows to stuff. Imagine trying to explain body work like this!

Edited by JSM

In that link you posted, the first picture on the page, I have what they have labeled as 2 (there is 2 of them). What I dont have is what they have labeled as 3 and 4. I also dont have the cylinder that is bolted to the strut tower, or the "thing" (sorry) just to the right of the cylinder. Ill take a photo tom. and post it up to display what I have.

I did get quoted 350 bucks to have my car wired up for me but if I could do it myself obviously doing a build like mine I could most def. use that money elsewhere.

What are these things im missing? Are they needed for my application?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...