HybridZ

Speedo Trapped In Dash--HELP!!

Xnke

So I fitted a full-face dash cap from BDA last week, and went to set my gauges back in place for now...till I get the Speedhut illuminated faces. Unfortunately, the speedometer slipped past the cap and now is locked into the dash.

Any ideas on how to get it out without destroying the dash cap? Can I trim the old dash foam out of the gauge cup and slide the gauge out the back?

I'm also thinking of heating the dash cap with a heat gun, which I did when I installed it to help it conform to the dash better, and that worked fine...but this time heating it so I can stretch it a little inside the gauge cup, and try to get the speedo back out the front. The cap is very thin right there, and the edge just keeps hanging on the speedometer.

Anyone got any ideas?

I'm thinking a thin flexible piece of plastic that you can slip past the edge of the speedo, make a circle around the speedo to clear the edge of the dash cap. It would create a sort of ramp for the edge of the speedo to clear the cap, without having to destroy the dash cap or the speedo in the process. Think of it like a shoehorn...

Second that. Try cutting a ring out of a 2 liter bottle. Cut it oversized with scissors first, then use a razor blade against something hard to get a final clean edge to the ring.

Scott B

Gainesville, FL

'74 260Z, F54/p90a, flat tops, 6-1, 2.5, Flowmaster 40, 307 Blue(soon)

'84 720 KingCab 4x4 - Next resto project

Remove the dash. It's not that hard. I was shocked how easy it was.

Plus you can clean up some wiring if you wish. There are about six bolts I believe four under the vent cover near the windshield and a few around the radio and doors and 2 by the steering wheel. Should pull straight out get at the big connectors on the passenger side if this is a 280z and it should come out just fine. I would take out the AC/Heater/radio plate before I took out the dash though.

You might be able to slide the tach forward and get to the speedo and push it back out also.

Edited by 19762802+2

Guys, the dash being in the car isn't the problem. I've had the dash in and out more times than I care to count. The stock wiring is all gone, I rewired the entire car.

That said, I was able to remove the gauge from the back of the dash with little trouble.