HybridZ

240Z vs 260 & 280 Z pedal assemblies

Im sure this has been covered in the distant past about swapping 260Z and 280Z brake boosters onto a 240Z, but I cant seem to find anything now.

I have an upgraded brake booster and MC that was pulled from my 71 240Z and I went to install it on my 260Z. So Im trying to do the opposite by putting 240Z parts on a 260Z. Its a significant upgrade. What I have found out is that the holes in the pedal box and bulkhead appear to be in a different pattern. Has anyone else noticed this? Im curious because the 240Z I had was modified and though the parts are all Nissan the booster and MC are from something much newer(circa 94ish) and the PO may have modified the bulkhead and pedal box without my noticing it. I do not have the old 240Z pedal box or car for reference anymore so now I just have the booster and MC to go off of. The fix is fairly simple, drill 4 new holes to mount it, but the holes interfere with the stock 260Z pedal box gussets so it a pain and might be easier just to change the box over to one that works and only drill the bulkhead.

Edited by rayaapp2

Im not going for easy. This MC eliminates the distribution valve and other inline devices as well as provides more volume than the ZX MC. I believe its a 1" bore MC. Its not dissimilar to the MC's on 300zx or Q45 models. So I am re-doing all the brake lines and the meter valve in the back for the old drum system.

Besides I have a working 260Z master cylinder and booster unit that is coming out of the car. That system isnt good enough to stop the RB powered Z in my opinion.

A Request:

Anyone with a std 240Z Brake Booster or Pedal box, would you please take 4 measurements for me? From center to Center of the holes/studs along all four sides that lineup with/go through the bulk head? I believe its a rectangle, but it could be a trapezoid. Thanks!

Edited by rayaapp2

• 2 weeks later...

it's probably going to be easier to just swap in a 74-78 booster. You won't lose anything on the booster that way. I would say you could get a 79-83 ZX MC though, since it's slightly larger it can handle bigger brakes. Toyota etc.

You totally jinxed me...

My brake power booster died this afternoon. I suddenly had hard brakes and was almost killing the engine at idle because of the vacuum leak it created. Murphy strikes again. You know that booster has lived there for like 36 years without much issue. Ive replaced the MC, but as far as I can tell the booster has never been replaced... Despite the FSM stating that certain internal parts should be replaced every 2 years, certain other parts every 4 years all inside that thing it lasted at least the past 11 years Ive owned it and the previous 20 before that by the the Meth-head PO. The Original owner(aka meth-heads dad), maintenance the car well and had all the papers since new on it.

I guess I now have to make up 3 new brake hard lines and buy/find hardline inverted flare couplers somewhere. Not to mention now I have to drill the bulkhead for sure. LOL I guess Im ready to put some large vented rotors up front. Someone got like $4800 in cash they wanna donate to me so I can get my CCW wheels and some nice 315mm tires so I can clear said vented rotors? Oh wait I gotta fix the brakes first... but seriously Ill take donations :D