HybridZ

My injektorz haz demonz.

Dassan80z

Yo.

Didn't want to start a thread about this, but I spent all day today scratching my head.

80 280zx na

I replaced the ac compressor on my car, and then started it and it ran like ****, which was amazing since it has run perfect since the day I got it.

It misfires and runs like crap at idle and through all the gears.

I tested the coil, it passed but was leaking so I replaced it with an 8202 msd.

This still did not fix the problem.

I went through the entire ignition test procedure and everything checked out to be correct. Though behind the ICM was badly corroded, so I cleaned it, and greased all the connectors making sure they were tight. the cap, rotor and wires are all good. pick up coil around 375 ohms, inside of dist is slightly dirty. The sensor next to the dist that controls the injector fan, it's lead is broken off, has been that way. I can ground it before driving far tho, so not too much of a problem. I was thinking the ICM was at fault, but could not find a test for the module itself.

Problem still there. I started wiggling injector connectors and wiring, and got it to get worse, but never better. Took the stethoscope to the injectors and found two that weren't pulsing until i massaged the wires into the right spot. They all have corrosion in them and the boots are dryrotted. I packed them with dielectric grease with no change, I will go get some cleaner and go over them and re grease them tomorrow. But still there is a dead miss somewhere not related to the injectors.

It's just very akward that changing an a/c compressor would spark up a problem like this..... I didn't unplug anything except the one wire to the compressor and have went over anything i could have "knocked loose" in the process and then some. It was running prefect, like a sewing machine before.

Any suggestions as to where else to look would help. Like afm related, or whatever. No vacuum leaks, everything is getting proper voltage, and has proper resistance so far.

I have faith it will be fixed before the weekend is over. Can't be anything too serious.

The original compressor was seized. But the belt and tensioner were not on it when I bought the car. So I swapped good working ones over from my 83 parts car. Have looked at replacing the pig tails with ev1s but cleaning them should do for now.

Dont think this is the main problem tho.....

Found a few grounds that had issues, got those straight. PCV was seized. And have issues with corrosion/clips on the injectors. Is there any good swaps out there for the injectors and pigtails, like off a supra? Or should I just go back stock bosch with ev1s.

Might go turbo down the rd.

I'd get brand new injector connectors if I were you. Swapping out old used ones could just cause more problems down the road. You can pick up an entire set for around $14.00-$20.00 on ebay so they arent that expensive. It's where I picked up my set and they worked perfect. Now as for the issue with your car is, check for a vacuum leak. Rubber on these old cars can be pretty dry rotted. Also, check your ignition timing out if you can. Maybe you bumped the distributor while replacing the A/C compressor. Check the connection to the AFM too. Take it off and inspect it. Hope I helped.

I went through the entire ignition system before finding that the main cause was the injector pigtails. Everything is perfect with the ignition. It even got a blaster coil out of it. . Going to the body shop monday, I'll be sorting a few things out. Might go custom fuel rail. Def goin with new injectors and pig tails!