HybridZ

L28/5spd into 1st series 240z help

Gigantor

I recently swapped an L28 block with a late 280z 5 speed transmission into my 1970 240z. I knew I had to remove an inch or so of material around the shifter to allow proper space to shift. But peeering through the hole the shifter comes out of, the transmission is prominetly off-set towards the drivers side at angle. "\" somehwat like that (I will post a picture later. I noticied when I pulled my engine block there was a spacer on the passenger side motor mount, which I reinstalled with the new engine. My question is would this spacer possibly be the cause of the transmission being angled towards the drivers side of the car? Or did I somehow screw something else up? No where in my research on L28 swaps has anyone mentioned a spacer, could this be a Series 1 only thing?

You may have the motormount brackets swapped to the wrong sides....

Ditto, that is exactly what you will see if the engine mounts that go between the rubber isolators and the engine block have been installed on the incorrect side. In stock form the engine is setup to lean to the right side(as viewed from drivers position), but if those mounts are backwards it will lean the engine over at an exaggerated angle to the left.

Make sure the mounts are not identical or something odd like that and that they are re-installed on the correct side.

Perhaps someone has pictures of the mounts that can post them here for you? If they have them already marked L ad R that would help the guy out as well!?

Got it taken care of! Went back, and while I originally had led myself to believe I had installed the "elbow" style mount on the left side as required, I infact had it on the driver's side. Got them switched around today pretty quickly (It's funny how much easier things go in when installed the correct way). Thanks for your help!