HybridZ

260z 2+2 sitting low on the rear

Hi all,

My car has always been sitting lower on the back, I put this down to worn rear shocks, I put in a set of tokiko illumina springs and shocks last summer thinking this would cure it but its still the same,

I measured from the sills to the groung on the fron and rear and its sitting approx 35mm lower in the rear, Anyone have any idea's why this would be?

You can Kind of see it in the pic below, If you look at the front of the rear wheel and the back of the front wheel you can see the difference, It starting to bug me now

z5.jpg

Edited by jay28

I have some tokicos springs on my 2+2 and it sits lower in the front then in the rear. It's possible that if you swap the springs front to rear it may change the stance. Are you sure you have the 2+2 springs as well? Maybe you have the coupe springs and that is causing a problem.

Beautiful 2+2 your's has been an inspiration for mine for a while and good luck figuring it out.

Edited by 19762802+2

Changing the shocks out shouldn't have done anything. All shocks do is contol the rebound of the springs. But I do think that 19762802+2 is correct. Maybe you do have the coupe springs and it may also be possible that you have the springs in the wrong places. The ones for the rear should be a little taller than the ones for the front. Wouldnt know unless you took them completely off though.

• 3 weeks later...

I have some tokicos springs on my 2+2 and it sits lower in the front then in the rear. It's possible that if you swap the springs front to rear it may change the stance. Are you sure you have the 2+2 springs as well? Maybe you have the coupe springs and that is causing a problem.

Beautiful 2+2 your's has been an inspiration for mine for a while and good luck figuring it out.

A little update with some information on my 2+2 tokico springs my car sits 2 feet 2 inches in the front on both sides and 2 feet 2.5 inches in the back on both sides. I also don't have a transmission in at the time so it may sit a smidge lower in the front, otherwise stock suspension except for TC rod upgrade from MSA and bump steer spacers.

Edited by 19762802+2

• 2 weeks later...

Well I contacted MSA about the problem I had, they said that the part number ending on 001 were the front springs and 002 were the rears.

So I went out to the garage and checked, I couldn't find any part number at all on the front springs, so I checked the rears, and there I seen it 001, So I took out the rear spring and put it on the front, the front is now like a dam jeep.

Ended up ordering ground conrol coilovers yesterday, hopefully these will sort out my problem.

That is odd that the ride got worse when you swapped the springs as the front spring rate is 185 lbs in. and the rears are 200. What setting are your shocks on? I have tokico springs with illumina shocks set on 2 all around and while the ride is firm it is nothing like a jeep!

That is odd that the ride got worse when you swapped the springs as the front spring rate is 185 lbs in. and the rears are 200. What setting are your shocks on? I have tokico springs with illumina shocks set on 2 all around and while the ride is firm it is nothing like a jeep!

I had my shocks set at 5, I dont know what MSA were at but the springs I got are not right. The coilovers are on the way so hopefully they will work out for me.

I had my shocks set at 5, I dont know what MSA were at but the springs I got are not right. The coilovers are on the way so hopefully they will work out for me.

5 is the firmest setting. Try 2 or 1. If you are using the tokico shocks with the new coilovers you'll still need to change that setting. I don't know anyone that actually uses that setting except for very smooth racetracks and stiff springs. What spring rate are you getting with the coilovers?

If your car has always been lower in the back, maybe someone put the shorter isolators/top hats from a 240z in it before you owned it.

Well his car is a 260z so its possible that this happened from the factory, What month was your 260z made? Also this is something to consider when ordering the coilover setup you should probably measure your strut tubes to make sure if you have 280z strut tubes or 240z strut tubes.

Well his car is a 260z so its possible that this happened from the factory, What month was your 260z made? Also this is something to consider when ordering the coilover setup you should probably measure your strut tubes to make sure if you have 280z strut tubes or 240z strut tubes.

260zbefore.jpg

Here's my car when I first got it, as you can see the rear height is fine, the springs must be the problem, its an early 1974 model (march).

Should have said I had the shocks on the softest setting also, The spring rates I went for are 150f/175r.

Cheers

Well I contacted MSA about the problem I had, they said that the part number ending on 001 were the front springs and 002 were the rears.

So I went out to the garage and checked, I couldn't find any part number at all on the front springs, so I checked the rears, and there I seen it 001, So I took out the rear spring and put it on the front, the front is now like a dam jeep.

Ended up ordering ground conrol coilovers yesterday, hopefully these will sort out my problem.

I just checked my car,that is my problem the last owner installed the fronts in rear and rears in front.When you swapped them did it correct the problem? The ride quality got that much worse?