HybridZ

Valve Carbon Deposits

cygnusx1

As long as I can remember working with BMW's, back to the late 80's, they have always had issues with carbon buildup on the valves. I remember a "standard" procedure, at the dealer where I worked, where customers were charged enormous cash to have their intake/exhaust manifolds removed so that the valves could be blasted with some sort of snorkel/scuba device that fired and sucked back walnut shells through the head ports.

Check out these posts over at the E90 forums. I'll probably get flamed over there for my comment. :D

http://www.e90post.c...ad.php?t=521296

What the heck? Is is solely because the direct injection does not spray the back of the valves? On second thought, this problem existed for BMW before DI.

When I ask technical questions on the BMW forums, the threads, no matter what topic, always turn into a discussion about how much wheel gap my 3 series has. :rolleyes:

Edited by cygnusx1

As long as I can remember working with BMW's, back to the late 80's, they have always had issues with carbon buildup on the valves. I remember a "standard" procedure, at the dealer where I worked, where customers were charged enormous cash to have their intake/exhaust manifolds removed so that the valves could be blasted with some sort of snorkel/scuba device that fired and sucked back walnut shells through the head ports.

Check out these posts over at the E90 forums. I'll probably get flamed over there for my comment. :D

http://www.e90post.c...ad.php?t=521296

What the heck? Is is solely because the direct injection does not spray the back of the valves? On second thought, this problem existed for BMW before DI.

When I ask technical questions on the BMW forums, the threads, no matter what topic, always turn into a discussion about how much wheel gap my 3 series has. :rolleyes:

I like how the first response was a snipe saying that you don't get it, then offers no help whatsoever. I don't follow that forum so maybe it was just friendly banter :confused:

Anyway, I do remember this issue from the mid 80's, and as I recall that problem was actually being caused by the injection of fuel on the back of the valve, or so they claimed. BMW then started recommending that you only use certain fuels that were of "high enough quality" and had detergent additives in them.

As you noted, with DI this shouldn't happen since (I'm assuming) the fuel now gets injected after the valve. Blow-by or valve stem seals, maybe?

I like how the first response was a snipe saying that you don't get it, then offers no help whatsoever. I don't follow that forum so maybe it was just friendly banter :confused:

Anyway, I do remember this issue from the mid 80's, and as I recall that problem was actually being caused by the injection of fuel on the back of the valve, or so they claimed. BMW then started recommending that you only use certain fuels that were of "high enough quality" and had detergent additives in them.

As you noted, with DI this shouldn't happen since (I'm assuming) the fuel now gets injected after the valve. Blow-by or valve stem seals, maybe?

Oh yeah, if you try to get technical or act mature in there, you are basically taunted. That is some nasty carbon build up. I hope the BMW powered guys in here take note. Ron?

Edited by cygnusx1