HybridZ

twin disc clutch users

240zdan

I need some insight on my twin disc situation. I am running a OSgiken twin disc with sprung hub centers. Tranny is a z32. About a month after clutch install my tranny started developing a very odd noise when releasing the clutch. I could duplicate the noise in any gear but only during take off, switching between gears when up to speed produces no noise.

I also get rumble from the tranny at low rpms under load in any gear.

I decided to tear apart the tranny thinking my input shaft bearing cage came apart. The input shaft bearing was in ok condition but i changed it anyways. i also inspected the pilot bushing for wear. Had about .010" clearence between the input shaft and pilot bushing. I did not have a new one so decided to reuse the old one (perhaps a mistake, but it did not seem excessivley worn).

I threw it all back together and the noise from take off went away. about 200 miles later the noise returned, but much less severe. The noise I am talking about is almost like a rattling noise. Im almost certain its the input shaft rattling.Changing th bearing probably just lessened the severity. The noise under load at low revs remains.

This is not the twin disc rattle that everyone is talking about with the clutch pressed down fyi. This is a different noise.

Now my question.. any twin disc users care to share their experiences? I have read about similar situations as mine and everyone says its normal. in fact, this is what nismo has to say about their twin disc:

The sports clutch discs and light weight flywheels, which are designed and manufactured to increase capacity for higher output and to improve clutch response, may cause the transmission or bearings to make a rumbling noise which is not present when using the original Nissan production parts. Such noise is particularly likely to occur when idling or when accelerating and decelerating at around 2000 rpm. Please be aware that this rumbling is not due to any defect in the parts.

It almost seems to me though that the more worn your tranny is, the more noise it produces. Is this true? I am willing to live with this awful noise if its not causing any harm. Could the pilot bushing be the cause? it did not seem excessivley worn.

Edited by 240zdan

I can't speak for the OSG clutch but my 5.5" Quartermaster made the same noise. Switching to a roller pilot bearing pretty much eliminated it but brought a whole different set of problems. I went back to the bronze pilot bearing and just lived with the noise. Hell, the whole car was loud anyway so one more rattle didn't' matter.