HybridZ

76 280z fuel pump

yes with a good pressure regulator you should be able to use the stock fuel pump. The Stock EFI system is a return system so your regulator would need to be able to return the excess pressure down the line, while the low pressure side should go to the carbs. it will take a little work to dial the carbs into the right pressure. I think it's only supposed to be 7-8 psi for the carbs. The EFI system is 40+. You may be able to put an inline FPR in place of the EFI FPR to hold the pressure much lower. I would have to look as the fuel routing more closely to tell you more.

Be careful which bypass style regulator you choose. I would get one with at least -8 ports, and make sure you get a regulator that will dial down to the lower carb psi. If you talking about v8 4 barrel I think the concensus is 5.5-6 psi with the return regulator. I don't think your stock return line is going to be able to bleed off enough pressure from the efi pump. I haven't verified it but I think that is my problem right now. I have been unable to dial any less than 9 psi using 5/16 feed and return. I am using a holley 12803bp regulator. I am thinking about using 5/8 and using the vent return line on the top of my tank, but unsure if that is too large. There are several respected members that support using the stock pump, and I agree. It is a good piece of equipment that is quiet and will flow a lot of fuel at low pressures. I think my return is just creating too great of a restriction.

That looks like a decent regulator. Should do the trick. I've got a set of round top SU's if you're interrested, send me a pm.

Another way of lowering the pressure in your fuel line off a EFI pump is to put a T off the loop before your regulator, then put a second regulator off that T before your carbs. This effectively puts the regulators in parallel dividing the work they have to do in half. You don't have to do this unless you're having flooding issues with the primary regulator turned all the way down.