HybridZ

Engine bay electrical removal

I'm finally getting to start on my 260. The pictures in the JTR book vary slightly from my engine bay.

I'm a little afraid of just ripping all this. Most of the connections are just plugs, but when it comes to pulling wires permanently, I dont want to remove anything just to put it back. I'm attempting to keep the A/C, and I'm running an HEI. I should only need about 3-4 wires in the engine bay, right?

There's several things on the fenders wells, and firewall, and I just dont know what they are.

I'm finally getting to start on my 260. The pictures in the JTR book vary slightly from my engine bay.

I'm a little afraid of just ripping all this. Most of the connections are just plugs, but when it comes to pulling wires permanently, I dont want to remove anything just to put it back. I'm attempting to keep the A/C, and I'm running an HEI. I should only need about 3-4 wires in the engine bay, right?

There's several things on the fenders wells, and firewall, and I just dont know what they are.

Don't rip out ANY WIRING unless you know for absolute certain that it will not be needed! The later Datsun/Nissan wiring diagrams are VERY CONFUSING. Go to Ebay and purchase color 11x17" wiring diagrams and then sort out for CERTAIN what is not needed!

Before you remove any wires go through the engine bay and tag each wire with a number on an address lable and document the number, function and color code on a wire list. If you are not sure about the function of the wire, test it with a volt meter etc. Take lots of close up pictures of the wires. When you do start disassembly of the wiring, unwrap the wiing harness keeping the numbered tags on the wires. Separate the wires you need from the harness, but do not cut any wires until you are ready to route and re-attach them.

Before you remove any wires go through the engine bay and tag each wire with a number on an address lable and document the number, function and color code on a wire list. If you are not sure about the function of the wire, test it with a volt meter etc. Take lots of close up pictures of the wires. When you do start disassembly of the wiring, unwrap the wiing harness keeping the numbered tags on the wires. Separate the wires you need from the harness, but do not cut any wires until you are ready to route and re-attach them.

I need a wire going to the Alternator, starter, and tach, I believe that is it. I will run all new wires for my gauges. Other than those three wires, It seems like everything can come out, right?

I need a wire going to the Alternator, starter, and tach, I believe that is it. I will run all new wires for my gauges. Other than those three wires, It seems like everything can come out, right?

The alternator will need a heavy gauge wire from it to a fuse block and then to the positive battery lead.

Alternator will also require a lighter gauge wire for excitation from fuse block in run position of ignition key. The battery positive will need another heavy gauge wire to the starter.

The starter will need a light gauge wire to the ignition switch hot in start position of key.

Ignition coil will need a hot wire from key in start and run positions.

Low side of ignition coil going to points or solid state distributor switch can have tach attached to it.

Oil pressure sender and engine temperature sender will both need light gauge wires going to them.

Radiator Fan will need heavy gauge wire going to it from heavy current relay tied back to heavy fuse tied back to battery positive.

AC compressor if used will need clutch control wiring.

Headlight wiring needs to have heavy current relays put in series with positive or ground side of circuits to eliminate Datsun design fault.

Same with running lights and turn signals or switch them to replacement LED bulbs.

Electronic Speedometer if used will need two light gauge wire from Trans to Speedometer.

Some existing wiring can be used and some new wiring may have to be added. Make a list and check it many times until it becomes VERY clear in your mind.

Any more questions?