HybridZ

Opinions, bought a 57trim T3/T4 turbo with a 48 exhaust ar

Read a few posts about how a lot liked the 50trim 60ar exhaust t3/t4. Didn't find much on this 57trim 48ar combo. Wanted to see if anyone else had one and how they liked it. Couldn't pass up the deal, Its a true garrett in and out.

Edited by dexter72

I preferred my T3/T4 hybrid with the .48 A/R over the stock .63A/R as full boost was available at 1700rpms compared to considerably more than that with the 'stock' turbine housing.

Some say it was 'restricted' due to small size, but it fit my power point requirements, and worked great. I wasn't making a 7000rpm peak-power dyno queen, I ran it at Auto-X and it was like a supercharged car with that small turbine.

Many Auto-X "Turbo Haters" would simply repeat in amazement "This is turbocharged? This car is turbocharged?"

Paradigms are a heartbreaker when they go away!

I read a post about the car you had a similar style turbo on Tony. I was just thinking that it should more then fit my needs. Street car. N/A flat top turbo engine. Still can be daily driven. 15psi MAX. Im thinking quick spooling.

Edited by dexter72

It will give you that. Mine would make 17psi at 1700psi (where I ran most of the time)

At low boost on 10psi I could get that off-idle really. From a standstill with a clutch dump I would have 17psi if I went WOT simultaneously. I would go positive pressure when free revving with the smaller surge tank. This didn't happen on the larger tank.

Frank 280ZX has a similar setup running 10psi on triple blowthrough webers making 231hp to the rear wheels, and his spool is very similar to mine. On his ITB setup with megasquirt if he 'fast idled' the car at 1700 he was making 2-3psi (AT IDLE!)

I think you will really like the response from the engine. For a daily driver it will be great. I loved mine.

Sounds great, I can't wait to install it, as soon as I get it back from the guy who's rebuilding it. Hope i get it back and all my install parts before it gets 115 degrees out here. No reason to tune anything in those temps.

I would disagree: tune for those hot days! You will only be rewarded by being able to drive in any weather without making excuses. I would drive out to Palm Springs to work the long grade back into Riverside during the hottest parts of summer. As a result of me tuning at those temperatures, I had absolutely no other issues the rest of the year. Then it was something like 110-120 (and don't even get into macadam thermal layer ingestion temperature! I was sucking in air at over 160F to the turbo in some cases!!!)

If you add methanol, that kind of temperature won't be a deterrent, but then you have another tank to fill and worry about. I didn't have methanol on that build likely I would today since the injection technology has progressed so much. I had it (water and water/methanol actually) on the Turbo Corvair...and it was tuned on the same grade, at the same time of the year!

Tune when it's hot, with the A/C on. Either you reveal your cooling systems' shortfalls, or your tuning shortfalls. Either way, in the long run you will be rewarded with something that is long-term troublefree.

I have no worries about the engine overheating, Its me sweating to death thats the issue. I see your point about summer tuning but with no a/c, I don't drive the car that often july through august. I usually do early morning drives in the summer. I may have the turbo back in two weeks, so I have some time before the no drive months. Or right after a monsoon blows through and drops the temps 15 degrees. lol

Maybe I can get one of those old school tube shaped coolers, that hung on the windows of cars in the 50's or VW Bugs i see out here.

Dexter I agree with you on the no A/C bit...

Getting stuck right when you enter Phoenix mid day in July in a gutted car with heat radiating from every direction for 3hrs made me never want to drive through Phoenix in the day time again.

If you find a good source for those A/C units or some plans/one torn apart you should let me know!

Oh, I assumed you ran aftermarket A/C like I do in those temperatures.

You do remember my stories about going 110mph across Iowa in 104F and 90+ R.H. with a 70F interior temperature and a temperature gauge right left of center???

Trust me, if you can keep your engine cool in SoCal/PHX during the summer months, you got a 'cross conuntry cruiser' with A/C on full blast! I know I did! :D

I don't remember that story but I have no doubt that you did it. I have a zx radiator in my z and it works great, since it was installed. I always thought that if a z had vent windows, it would have great airflow inside of it.