HybridZ

280zx Floor Pan/Frame Rail Replacement

yeah i hear ya max, so far ive had interest on it and 2 people want it, but because of life and such just cant do it. i dont blame them either, one guy was gonna come from michigan for it, just rent a uhaul trailer one way and drive home. way way cheaper than shipping and car that is only a shell with extras.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I'll give the dry ice a shot this weekend hopefully. Does it take the tar right of the paint, or does it leave a film behind? I went at it for a while with a hammer and slothead screwdriver and everything that came off left a tar film behind. Hopefully that be ground off easily enough.

As for picking up a new shell, it would be nice, but I've already spent a good chunk on moving the car with me, and now that I'm living on the easternmost part of the easternmost island in North America, shipping, even just from the main land costs a fortune. Also I've already spent a good chunk on fab tools, so it's too late to turn back now.

I use a citrus based degreaser and it disolves the tar film better than any solevent I've tried.

I LOVE the S130 and I want as many as possible to live but I'll also say it's never too late to turn back on a super rusty S130...... There are lots of cheap cars in the USA....

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say that I really like the look of your car from outside. Hope to do the coilovers on mine soon. Being in NZ, we don't seem to have rust in this way. Good on you for taking this on. Hope you get through it soon. Car is definitely worth saving. Check out this link if you have not already. Maybe it will save you some time and effort and help you get this weekend project done sooner! http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/280zx.html

I have to say that I really like the look of your car from outside. Hope to do the coilovers on mine soon. Being in NZ, we don't seem to have rust in this way. Good on you for taking this on. Hope you get through it soon. Car is definitely worth saving. Check out this link if you have not already. Maybe it will save you some time and effort and help you get this weekend project done sooner! http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/280zx.html

Thanks for the link. I've seen that and heard nothin but horror stories about showcars-bodyparts. That $400 is an aweful lot of money when I think I can salvage whats left of the floors with sheet metal I already have laying around.

I've spent the past 2 weekends working on the car. I tried the dry Ice for removing the sound deadener and it sure is a miracle worker. Also I've got some ideas for some chasis (rocker box) stiffening I've been tossing around in my head. I'll post more details with pics when I get a chance. Right now the engine is ready to come out, just need to borrow a crane, then I'll get started on the inner fenders and frame rails.