9 replies to this topic

#1 pasakZ

pasakZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationTacoma, WA

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

I have used the search and read lots here and on zcar.com but still have questions. I am trying to do this conversion. I have modified maxima brackets and calipers/rotors from an 83 zxt -- replacing the drums on my 77 280. I can't seem to make them fit, when I read it seems some have done this with no problem, but when I try to mount the calipers there is not enough clearance. Do I need the calipers from an earlier model (79-81)? or calipers from a late model maxima (88 or so) or just a different rotor? -- I came by all the parts cheap and really only wanted the swap for easier maintainance but now I am into it and looking to continue as inexpensively as possible (with disc brakes) to get me back on the road. so with the maxima brackets what caliper/rotor combination fits on rear 280z? It seems others have made this combination work and I am trying to find out if I am just doing something stupid. Thanks

#2 duragg

duragg

Kilopost Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1188 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

I would post some pics so the smart people can help.

I got lucky with my 280ZX rear caliper / rotor / adapter.  Found on Craigslist-bought cheap- perfect fit.

Sorry...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1973 S30 (Gutted & caged NASA ST3) 2252lbs (dry & vacant) / VQ35HR/ 4.375 CLSD R200 / GC-Koni doubles / 275 R7s / Safety is a priority.

#3 AZGhost623

AZGhost623

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationGoodyear,AZ

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

Hmm, I did this swap back in December, and everything fit just right. My Calipers were off an 1986 Maxima, and 280ZX rotors. The caliper brackets can only really go on one way. Anyway, the hardest part for me was removing that dang dust shield off the drums. I F'd up on the removal, I should have not taken everything apart. I screwed up the spindle taking off the nut with an airgun. I was extremely lucky finding replacements. My only suggestion would be to cut the dust shield off, and dont take anything else off but the drums obviously..

Where did you get the new rear caliper brackets from? You can get some from here, might be able to find somewhere else cheaper.

http://www.silvermin...it-Brackets.htm

http://www.modern-mo...=&products_id=8

Oh and check this link, might be handy.

http://forums.hybrid...n-kit-write-up/

I have some pictures of my build, but not sure if they will help any....

Edited by AZGhost623, 14 January 2013 - 07:05 PM.

'76 280Z "Banzai Runner" GNOSE Custom Widebody

Stroked Rebello 3.0L, P90 Big Port Rebello Head, 279/487 Rebello Camshaft, Kameari Intake manifold, Triple DCOE 45's, Electromotive XDI, Headers / 2.5 Exhaust, 3.9 LSD R200

https://www.instagram.com/azghost623/

#4 wesmc

wesmc

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

pasakZ- Did you ever figure this out?

Wes McCullough

Owner

RennsportKC

rennsportkc.com

#5 RebekahsZ

RebekahsZ

Life Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5377 posts
  • LocationFlorence, Alabama

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

What year and model rear rotor is used on the Desert Z (Sean Schlapi) maxima-caliper rear dic conversion? I need to buy a pair.

1972 240z, purchased in 1991 for $900. Bone stock LS2/T56/DBW from 2006 GTO, swap completed in 2011. 400rwhp/435 rwtq. 2400# minus driver. JCI swap, Mantic ER2 clutch kit, JTR headers, single exhaust, Borla muffler, MGW shifter, M2 Differentials shortened Z31 CV axles, Z31 CLSD R200, Chequered Flag Racing billet stubs and companion flanges. MSD 2-step, Hurst roll control, both operated from switches on clutch pedal. 9" Hoosier drag slicks on Weld Draglites, 245/45/16 Hoosier A6/R6 on 16X8+10 Rota RBR. 225/250 sectioned coilovers, Koni 8610-1437RACE shocks, DP and EMI camber plates, MM shortened rear control arms, TTT front control arms, poly and aluminum bushings. Top speeds: Ohio Mile 174mph, C/GMS class record holder, best 1/8 mile 6.96 at 100mph, best 1/4-mile 11.0 at 126mph, best 60' 1.43, best 1/2-mile 148mph at GA 1/2-mile. Home Track-Jake's Dragway, Moulton, AL. SCCA autocross club - TVR, Huntsville, AL. Lets race!

#6 Nisssmo510

Nisssmo510

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationCorona,CA

Posted 03 January 2015 - 06:10 PM

pics please. I didn't have any issue with the vegas dude bracket.

#7 S30 SPL

S30 SPL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:22 PM

Are you guys making changes to your porportioning valve or master cylinder when going from drum to disc?

#8 Miles

Miles

Miles ahead!

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1858 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:38 PM

Are you guys making changes to your porportioning valve or master cylinder when going from drum to disc?

Sometimes.

There is no 'generalized" answer without knowing the specific  brake configuration you are asking about.

See Brake FAQs and the other posts in the brake section etc.

“Life is like arriving late for a movie, having to figure out what was going on without bothering everybody with a lot of questions, and then being unexpectedly called away before you find out how it ends.”    -Joseph Campbell

#9 S30 SPL

S30 SPL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 16 March 2015 - 03:17 PM

I have a 77 280Z with the stock booster and master. In the front, I have converted to the Mustang Cobra 2 piston calipers (modern motorsports), in the rear, I have the 08- Mustang GT single piston calipers (silver mine motorsports), all vented disc. I haven't really put the car through it's paces so I'm not sure what will exactly happen. But if I need to change certain things, I'd rather do it now instead of later.

#10 jeremy101

jeremy101

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Locationutah

Posted 23 July 2016 - 07:11 AM

I'm doing 240sx rear brakes upgrade with modern motor sport bracket . So does anyone know the size of bolts to use? info on brake lines size from 280z car to 240x caliper. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users