HybridZ

Taking over someone else's project.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This project is coming along pretty nicely. Those do look good, but they look like they are just too open for me. I also think a headlight cover would make them look amazing. HID bulb choice for me is always near the 5k mark, suppose to be the brightest and most white bulb you can get.

This project is coming along pretty nicely. Those do look good, but they look like they are just too open for me. I also think a headlight cover would make them look amazing. HID bulb choice for me is always near the 5k mark, suppose to be the brightest and most white bulb you can get.

5k is what I was thinking, I havent done much research recently, mind has been on other things.  I appreciate the complements, but I can't take all the credit.  The previous owner got the car where it is.  I have a long ways to go though.  Even longer now, I just punctured a fuel line with a damn power drill while trying to patch a rust spot. Looks like Im going to have to find a way to get the car in the air and band it or something. 

Even more issues...looks like my electrical gremlin never went away. I have two fuses that kept blowing, turns out they both went to the same wire, the wire is the one that connects to BAT on the alternator.  I was stuck in traffic and the more we slowed down, the worse the car acted.  Started stuttering horribly, loss of spark from what I could tell, finally some jack ass slammed on his brakes because the guy 800 feet ahead of him tapped his brakes, I stomped mine, car died and would not crank. Battery was completely dead. Im confused, this wire goes straight from the battery to the alternator, no stops anywhere between, so I guess my new alternator is bad... :icon51:

Well, last night while I was at work I had plenty of time to think about it.  The solution was not to replace the alternator, it was to not be an idiot.  The PO had glass tube fuses put on this terrible terminal strip thing, I replaced that with Maxi fuse blades and a little box, well, I used the same ratings he had used, the glass fuses were full of rust and hatred, they were all blown but passed current. The Maxi fuses are plastic and when they fail, they fail.  Long story short, he was using two 35 amp fuses in parallel for a connection that requires 1 80Amp fuse. (Running two fuses in parallel defeats the purpose of a fuse). so I replaced it with a rigged fusable link, car is running, battery is not dead. Why I did not figure that out the instant I discovered where that wire went, I will never know. Either way, I am off all next week, I ordered some stuff off Amazon and will be relocating my battery and cleaning up my engine bay, it needs it bad, removing wires that are just hanging and go no where and locating all my fuse boxes to where the battery was. If I can get everything I need I will be installing my MSD as well. 

Well, some of my stuff did come in for doing my battery move/engine bay cleanup, but I cant get it done due to rain and lack of things I need to finish the job, one guy sent me the wrong part....pissed. I went ahead and built my "battery distribution center" that will sit in the place of my battery. As you can see, it was made with old speed limit signs, part of me wants to paint it, the other likes the way it looks...open to opinions.

Pieces layed out with my tools:

post-40062-0-37510900-1382475144_thumb.jpg

This is what it looks like inside, it will have my little fuse blocks  and lots of wire running through it when Im done.

post-40062-0-58412700-1382475199_thumb.jpg

And this is with the lid on.  I still have not attached it, I dont know if I want to hinge it or fasten it with....something.

post-40062-0-24183000-1382475334_thumb.jpg

Im going to be putting it in the spare tire well on the passenger side.  I am running 0 gauge wire from the battery to the terminals under the hood, then 4 gauge to the starter.  The battery will have a 150Amp Circuit breaker mounted on it.  150A seems to be the norm to be able to start the car. I know a lot of people are probably going to be upset with the idea of moving the battery 50/50 weight distribution etc, but really, if I was worried about the 50lb gain in my hatch area I would lose 100lbs myself to make up for it.  

On another note... I think my transmission is about to go.  It sounds like there is no transmission fluid in it, loud, it was damn near screeching when I drove home this morning ( I have to work on my car at work, on my days off of course, I live in an apartment, plus Im on night shift).  So, since Im not risking driving thirty miles to check it myself, Im going to call around and see if someone will do a flush for me.  I hope it can be easily remedied. Im on the lookout for a T5, the na tranny shouldnt have this much hp on it anyway...from what I have read at least. 

On another another note....I bought a champion triple pass radiator a few months ago and just put it in last night, man, it looks awesome!....except one minor detail, I can't close my hood. I have only found one person that mentioned they had the same issue, but they never posted anything about a resolution. Im going to email Champion and ask them wtf.  It is sitting as low as it can, I may be able to angle it, but that will get me really close to the fan. The only good thing that came out of tonight was that I was finally able to install the power steering pulley on my car, turns out I didnt have to pull the pulley off of mine, just had to remove the six screws from the spare pulley I got, put the small pulley on my car and voila! done. I sand blasted and polished my idler pulley...which was hidden in the hatch area and covered in rust, I just need a new bearing, there is a place close to me that has bearings of all sizes, theyre pretty cool, guess Ill check them out tomorrow. Looks like Im driving my fiancees jetta again.    :icon11:

I sold my T5 about 4 months ago . I'm using 400 amp. CB on both of mine . 150 amp. is close , most starters exceed that . Triple-pass rad. might be a little too much for OE water pump . Read somewhere that triple-pass requires high volume water pump .