HybridZ

Begiining my build

Posted this before here (It ended up in the 240  area)

Just joined the board, I have a 71 240 that is about 40 hours from fully rebuilt from ground up. Well, I got a wild hair and now I want to LS1/2 it.

I have a few questions to start:

Who has a 71 and used the LS1 and 700r4 tranny or what auto tranny did you use?. How did it fit, what did you have to do to make it fit?

Also, what are you all doing for gas tanks. Who has used a fuel cell, what manufactuer and size, and what did you have to do to make it fit (Cutting and cage to sit in)

Thanks in advance!

BTW, here are a few pics of the Z as it sits,post-29954-0-12847600-1391632149_thumb.j post-29954-0-27927300-1391632258_thumb.j

Mark

• Like 1

Since you were considering an auto trans, why don't you be the first guy to do a 6.0 swap from a G8 with a 6-speed 6L80E auto trans, and make it work with paddle shifters?  To my knowledge there is noone who has done this.  There's a pullout on ebaymotors.com right now.  Use LS2 as your search criteria in Parts and Accessories and you will find it.  But, be sure there is a paddle shifter that will work with the 6L80E.  A google search will likely pull up something.

Edited by RebekahsZ

Due to cost and complications, I can't recommend the LS conversion. Lot of plus and minus decisions.  The lower weight can be compensated by moving the battery to the rear and using aluminum everywhere possible in the front.  I am not sure the performance is worth the extra cost based on racing against them. Driveability using fuel injection and not having to cut a hole in your hood is.  I can change my plugs with socket wrench and a socket and there is plenty of room to work.   

I have been on my 260Z since 1999 and gone through all sorts of changes. If I had had a decent plan I would have not bought things twice.  I started with a 350TH  and a mild 350 Chevy which was great for drag racing but not road course.  I changed to a Richmond T10 4 speed and broke u joints at the starting line.  Tried a Novak hydraulic clutch fork which locked against the tunnel after a 100 shot of nitrous, missed a shift, revved to 9 grand and blew the engine.  Tried a Tilton internal hydraulic clutch-failed.  Bought a McCleod hydraulic cluch-failed but fixed.  Installed the first Techno Toy R230 Conversion using a 1990 twin turbo.     I was having fuel starvation due to the stock tank which was replaced by a fuel cell, electric pump and 3/8 lines. Pictures are on my photobucket album.   Added Arizona Z Car 5 bolt front disc brakes and Cobra R wheels.  Now, I have added the last of the 1551 series Edelbrock superchargers, 500 lbs of torque and going back to a built 200R4 to get overdrive. Without overdrive, the car is twisting 3500 RPM at 65 MPH.   

My understanding is that the 6L480E is 3 or 4 inches longer and also wider than the 700R4 and that the 4L80E is the same size as the 700R4.  What tunnel modifications are needed to use the 4L80E?   I have pretty well decided on a 200R4 custom built for my supercharged 350 but have not pulled the trigger yet.

I have a few questions to start:

Q:  Who has a 71 and used the LS1 and 700r4 tranny or what auto tranny did you use? 

A:  I have a '73 240z with an LS1 and 4L60E.  The 4L60E is the same size as the 700R4 except it is controlled electronically via the PCM (computer).  I've owned both (past cars and projects) and would not put a 700r4 behind an LS engine.  The 700 requires a TV cable and if not adjusted properly will smoke the transmission within a short period of time.  

Q:  How did it fit, what did you have to do to make it fit? 

A:  The 4L60E fits good in my '73.  I had to massage the floor boards a little to allow room for 2.5" exhaust to flow around the trans pan (the trans pan is wide).  I also massaged the trans tunnel on the RH side to allow a little extra room near the trans servo.  Nothing too major just used an air chisle, a ball peen hammer and a rubber mallet.   I also tweaked the JTR trans support bracked to allow more room for the exhaust.

Q:  Also, what are you all doing for gas tanks.

A:  Stock tank modified with a larger outlet and larger return line.  The guy who modified the tank charged me ~$225 and sealed it too.  I have yet to fire up the car yet to see how the stock tank works for me but according to others it should work fine for what my goals are.

This is the 4L60E valve body - it has a wire harness to control solenoids for the shifting.  This trans requires a PCM (computer).

post-25803-0-61591000-1391986151_thumb.jpg

This is the LS1, trans and PCM from a 2002 Z28.  You can use the 12" floor tiles for size reference.

post-25803-0-53454200-1391986191_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mikey303LSZ

BTW...  Your car looks AWESOME. 

I noticed you live south of me.  This is a long shot but I don't suppose you were the guy from Craigslist who sold me my R200 dif. about 1-2 years ago.  The guy drove up from the Springs and hand delivered it to my garage!  He was working on a 240 project at the time.