HybridZ

Fairlady Z ID help

Ok, here's the deal.. I purchased my genuine '76' Fairlady Z RHD about 7 years ago. I put her in storage and would start her up once a year when I would return home. I moved to FL for work and completely rebuilt my 93 RX7 with a big T78 single turbo and everything else you could think of. I recently returned home and now have the Fairlady on my mind 24/7 since she is right here with me.

This is where you guys might be able to help. When I bought her, the kid said she is a 76. I really want to make 100% sure I know what she is. Here is the details... After purchasing her, an older gentleman that I knew stepped forward and claimed he owned her in the late 70's. I didn't believe him until he said, "Clifford intake manifold, Holley carb, header, fuel pump switch in a 'certain place'", and then I knew he was being 100% legit. The older gentleman told me that my Fairlady was originally owned by his buddy that was in the Air Force and stationed in Europe back then. The buddy loaded her up onto a cargo plane and brought her over in the late 70's. My buddy John Stephens did all the mods for the Airman. The airman was sent back to Europe and the car was sold to my old acquaintance, Mr.Stephens. Mr.Stephens sold her in the 80's to an unknown person and he never saw her again, until he came over to my place.

I believe I remember him saying that they swapped in the 2.8, N42, that is currently in it as well as the 5-speed tranny. He said the old one was a 4 spd. The doors have the recessed lock mechanism, just like the older 76-77 US doors. The taillights have the integrated reverse light (like the early 240z's) on the bottom next to the orange blinker with the red on top. The last tidbit of info... She has the dual knob clock! Now, Mr.Stephens was 100% sure that she is a European Fairlady as the original owner, U.S. Air Force fellow, was a real good friend. I can provide more info for you guys if you know of any other indicators that I should look for to help ID exactly which year and which special model she is.

Thanks for your help guys! Let's do this!!!

Ok, here's the deal.. I purchased my genuine '76' Fairlady Z RHD about 7 years ago. I put her in storage and would start her up once a year when I would return home. I moved to FL for work and completely rebuilt my 93 RX7 with a big T78 single turbo and everything else you could think of. I recently returned home and now have the Fairlady on my mind 24/7 since she is right here with me.This is where you guys might be able to help. When I bought her, the kid said she is a 76. I really want to make 100% sure I know what she is. Here is the details... After purchasing her, an older gentleman that I knew stepped forward and claimed he owned her in the late 70's. I didn't believe him until he said, "Clifford intake manifold, Holley carb, header, fuel pump switch in a 'certain place'", and then I knew he was being 100% legit. The older gentleman told me that my Fairlady was originally owned by his buddy that was in the Air Force and stationed in Europe back then. The buddy loaded her up onto a cargo plane and brought her over in the late 70's. My buddy John Stephens did all the mods for the Airman. The airman was sent back to Europe and the car was sold to my old acquaintance, Mr.Stephens. Mr.Stephens sold her in the 80's to an unknown person and he never saw her again, until he came over to my place.I believe I remember him saying that they swapped in the 2.8, N42, that is currently in it as well as the 5-speed tranny. He said the old one was a 4 spd. The doors have the recessed lock mechanism, just like the older 76-77 US doors. The taillights have the integrated reverse light (like the early 240z's) on the bottom next to the orange blinker with the red on top. The last tidbit of info... She has the dual knob clock! Now, Mr.Stephens was 100% sure that she is a European Fairlady as the original owner, U.S. Air Force fellow, was a real good friend. I can provide more info for you guys if you know of any other indicators that I should look for to help ID exactly which year and which special model she is. Thanks for your help guys! Let's do this!!!

Edited by 76Fairlady

First:

There is NO SUCH THING as a "European Fairlady"

Everything you mentioned us basically useless to aid in identification of origin.

What you need to give us is the Before-Dash Prefix of the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)

There are three possibilities you will have:

S30-XXXXXX - Pre-Fuel Injection Fairlady Coupe

RS30-XXXXXX - European Delivery RHD 260Z (not a Fairlady)

S31-XXXXXX - Last Two Years of Fairlady Z production with EFI

GREY IMPORTS into UK/Europe by service members got Fairlady Z's into that region. The only actual official Nissan Imports were the 240Z (HS30) and the 260Z (RS30)

The Fairlady Z was a Japan Market ONLY car, with a Nissan OHC L20A or L20E Six Cylinder.

There are countless other clues, but the first step is a VIN Check. If it's not "S30" or "S31"--it ain't a Fairlady Z. It's just a Euro Delivery 260Z...

So what's the VIN?

Yes I read that part, Leon. She has Fairlady badges on the back and on the glove box. And these were there from the beginning. One of the original owners knew that she was a true Fairlady and he owned her back in the late 70's and he wasn't really into the 'JDM' cars back then. She is def a true Fairlady, I was never questioning that. I'm just curious as to what model Fairlady she is, because I recently noticed the 2-knob clock and discovered that those are extremely rare.

I got those badges on my 1973. I bought them at Nissan. They were cheap. They did not take special holes: they fit in place of "DATSUN"...

You state over and over and over 'it's a true Fairlady' and haven't given a single, solitary iota of PROOF of this!

You have a lot of misconceptions about Fairlady Z's. My favorite part of the story is about loading it in a cargo plane and sending it over. Obviously he was a flag-grade officer...

Dude, the 'type' has been laid out, the VIN will determine what you have.

And I've bad news for you if it's anything other than "S30" or "S31"...

Here's one: how are the Road Flares? How about the Road Flare Holders? (Passenger's Kick Panel) --- if you don't got them...running down a tragic road of "not a Fairlady Z"!

I vote for Shedding after the VIN is posted. There's nothing here.

There are other ways to find out if your car is a genuine Fairlady Z. 

1. Engine bay ID tag, real Fairlady would say Nissan on the ID tag.

2. Turn signal switch should have a "PASS" button at the end of the switch.

3. Foot rest on the passenger side.

4. Black fender mirrors. If you don't have it, the fenders should have holes for them.

Again, they best way to identify a genuine Fairlady is by the VIN on the firewall. Check Zhome to see if your car has been register with Carl Beck.

1. Engine bay ID tag, real Fairlady would say Nissan on the ID tag.

2. Turn signal switch should have a "PASS" button at the end of the switch.

3. Foot rest on the passenger side.

4. Black fender mirrors. If you don't have it, the fenders should have holes for them.

2. It would not have a PASS button if it was a base model 'S30-S' Fairlady Z.

3. It would not have had the passenger foot rest of it was a base model 'S30-S' Fairlady Z.

OP mentioned that original transmission was a 4-speed. That would point to it being a base model 'S30-S' Fairlady Z.

Check Zhome to see if your car has been register with Carl Beck.

Whether it has or hasn't, I wouldn't put any trust in Carl Beck knowing anything pertinent about this particular car, or Fairlady Zs in general.

• Like 1

I didn't get a chance to look at her today, doing mother's day lunches and dinner with family...

Pretty sure she has the S30-xxxxx VIN.

GRRETC, she def has the black fender mirrors and these are black fender mirrors that I've never seen available anywhere.

Not sure about a passenger foot rest or a PASS button on the turn signal. I'll check in those sometime this week.

I know the gauges seem a lil different from anything I've seen, the FUEL gauge has AMP above it instead of VOLTS. And like I said, the clock has the two knobs which I have heard is extremely rare.

As far as Tony D's comments, I was born in 85. The story of the Fairlady coming over on a cargo plane is exactly that. A STORY that was told to me by the second owner from the 70's. I wasn't around or even alive back then so I don't know how true it is, but it IS what he told me. I've had cash in hand offers for $26k and $22k and turned them down. I'm not selling her and I never plan on it. At ALL. I'm def not trying to play it up as an ultra rare 432 or anything, just trying to see what she really is for my own shiggles. I'm also trying to find out the history of all the previous owners and I want to find the original 'Air Force owner'. I have already made contact with the past 3 owners as of last week and I'm getting closer to find out the real story of her history.

Edited by 76Fairlady

Ok update. Looked at the VIN. Def S30 prefix. Looked in the "passenger" feet area. Not foot rest or Flares but there def was something there as I see tapped holes and something missing. As for the turn signal, the letters are worn off but there is def a small button on the very end for a PASS option :-)

240z body since he said it has 240z tail lights.

Not if it was made in 1976, as he reported. No "240Z" style tail light cars were produced after 1973.

In fact, this "240Z body" way of thinking is wrong-headed. If it's got an 'S30' prefix then it's an S30 body. That's the correct way to think about these things. "240Z" doesn't mean anything specific. 

If the OP wants to give his full chassis number ( the prefix and body serial number combo ) I can tell him what year it was made.

I'll get the rest of the numbers tomorrow. That's why I was confused about the year. It was sold to me as a 76, the doors look like they are from a 76-up, but also look like they aren't the original doors or the original lock mechanisms. I'm going to be tearing her down and looking behind the lock latch on the body, etc. But the doors are the only thing making me think 76, besides the last owner saying it was a 76. As for everything else, and I mean EVERYTHING Else, it is starting to look like an earlier 240 style body. The gauges, the taillights, the bumpers... That's why I was confused as hell. And I'm not 100% sure that this VIN is the original VIN. No door jamb sticker, no engine plate VIN (well, I haven't found one yet, the stamping on the firewall doesn't look right, and the plate on the dash looks like it could've been some non-factory rivets.

Like I said before, I'm never selling her, so I'm not trying to make her seem like something she isn't, I just want to get to the bottom of what she really is for my own personal joy. Plus, I just bought the aftermarket frame rails and floor pans for a 280 body and if this in fact a 240 body, then they won't work. That's why I've been telling you guys about the other indicators such as the taillights, gauges, 2 knob clock, etc. Any other clues or indicators that you guys can think if that would verify it being a 240 body and not a 280 body or vice versa would be great.

Thanks so far!

And is there anyone on here from North GA? That's where she has been residing all of her life since she's been in the states... And I do know at least 4 of the past owners. The second owner and the three before me. I'd like to link it all together, again, just for my own shiggles...

Edited by 76Fairlady

As for everything else, and I mean EVERYTHING Else, it is starting to look like an earlier 240 style body. The gauges, the taillights, the bumpers... That's why I was confused as hell. And I'm not 100% sure that this VIN is the original VIN. No door jamb sticker, no engine plate VIN (well, I haven't found one yet, the stamping on the firewall doesn't look right, and the plate on the dash looks like it could've been some non-factory rivets.

Japanese market cars didn't have the stamped ( alloy ) door jamb manufacturing date tags. That was a US Federal phenomenon.

Japanese market cars didn't have the stamped tag on the dash top either. That too was a US Federal phenomenon.

I don't know what you mean by "engine plate VIN", but Japanese market cars had an engine bay tag that said 'Nissan' in Katakana. These had the body serial number stamped into them, but no engine number stamped into them.

The prefix and body serial combination engraved into the firewall should be the one the factory gave to it. If it isn't, then you have a big problem.

In 35+ years of life, anything could have happened to your car. Many of the things you are describing could have been changed, either in Japan or elsewhere during that time. The chassis number should tell us what year your car was made, and that will also help point to its original factory specs.