HybridZ

Do I need to support the frame during repairs

JoeK

So I've got some light rust around my frame rails surrounding the battery area. As seen in the pics, I've already cut out the battery area and have the metal I need to replace that area. But as you can see, I've also got some rust on the frame and am planning on cutting it out per the lines drawn. These areas are pretty easy to bend up new metal, as the shapes are pretty straight forward. After the new metal is welded in, I'll also weld in Bad Dog frame rails.

My question is, if I cut out this much metal, will the car still support itself or do I need put some supports either side of the effected area? It'll still have the inner fender, and very little weight with the front suspension and interior removed, and obviously the drivetrain removed. Car is currently supported on jackstands from the cross member in front and the rear subframe just behind the doors. The car really completely torn down but for the suspension, and the front will be removed before I cut out any metal. I also wonder if it would be better for me to replace the battery area first, though I can easily imagine finding more rust on the inner fender once I see the inside of the frame.

I welcome your thoughts, opinions and questions. Thanks,

post-39558-0-42017800-1410148035_thumb.jpg

post-39558-0-38882900-1410148406_thumb.jpg

post-39558-0-04378500-1410148495_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the advice so far. I'm certainly not looking for more work, but at the same would rather be safe and not have to worry about it. Plan is a 400HP +/- LS and I don't want to be afraid to break it. I'd guess that the pock marks from the rust scale removed are 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through the sheetmetal. The back side of the box frame, same thing as the inner fender, looks pristine after I removed the undercoating. Of course one side of a piece of metal doesn't tell you much about the other, in most cases...

I suppose I could just convert and encapsulate the rust, then weld a cap over the area, butt welded from the top of the Bad Dog rail and over the horizontal portion of the box, and maybe spot weld to the top of the box?

I have a photo to add to this section.. i cut this part out of the car to fix the one in my picture and let face it the floor wasn't there and the cars frame is gone.. not worth saving this one other then using panels and peices but even with all of these rust issue here in canada. well.. Ill let the picture speek for itself.

1923962_70711440463_8059_n.jpg?oh=a7ae35

1923962_70711725463_2299_n.jpg?oh=fb6bf8

The car is still a rolling piece even after that much of the structure is removed. I was expecting it to bow over a few months but still nothing.. I would never drive a car like this XD, but the point I want to make is unless you are completely removing the spot welded frame rails from the cars supporting the stucture should not be an issue. If you have a blackhawk table, and what to go far with the car though do it more power to you.