HybridZ

Fiberglass (Bumper) Flex Question

quickdraw

Hmmm...that's interesting. This is a 280z conversion to 240z bumpers so I didn't have the reference. What's interesting is that I've seen quite a few z's with the fitment that appears to attach directly to the body. Still a little bit of space but by no means what I have. Any ideas on how they're doing that? Hacking up the option I have, perhaps?

You know, you're absolutely right.  I've been looking at other early Z bumpers online, and may have been mistaken.  I know for a fact that the 260 bumpers were offset, but now I'm not so sure about the 240s.   I see some, and they're snug to the body.  I see others, and they're about an inch away.  The factory bumpers are so flexible that I can imagine an owner hard-mounting them to the body after the rubber mount rots away.     I've been trying to reference a diagram, but I'm having difficulty finding one online.   The MSA catalog used to have an exploded diagram, but it's not online...

I think I have the answer.

This diagram shows a 240 bumper, and it's just using shims between the bumper and body  (part 11).  http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsuns30/DatsunZIndex/Body240Z/RadiatorGrilleBumper/tabid/1749/Default.aspx

THIS diagram shows an early 260 bumper, and part 17 is the stand-off I am remembering: http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsuns30/DatsunZIndex/Body260Z280Z/2Seater/RadiatorGrilleBumper/ToAug-74/tabid/1773/Default.aspx

I wonder if whoever made your fiberglass bumper used a 260 bumper to make their mold?

LanceVance- 61" at the outside edges

I've got something very similar at 60.75" from the absolute outermost points.

Edit: There is a good likelihood that I've got a 260 bumper, perhaps someone with a known 240 could measure to compare?

Edited by LanceVance

It's fiberglass...  If you're set on using it, not going to return it, want it to fit a certain way - cut it and "repair" it.  It bends in the middle - cut it there. Take your 1 1/2" - 2" out of the center, mock it up and check fitment, glass the back side where you made your cut.  You can make a jig, set it "on it's nose", tape the front to contain the resin.  Once it's set, sand down the front - fill if you need to - and have it painted.

I know we'd all like a part to "just work", but often with these cars we have to "massage" things to get them where we want them...

BTW, my son got a pair of those bumpers for his '76 a few years ago.  He also felt they were too wide and just pulled them in with his attachment bolts.  Worked for a while - until the little steel mounting tabs inside the bumpers seperated from the fiberglass.  He pulled his bumpers off a few months ago.  If they go back on, I imagine we'll do what I suggested above - get them to fit the way he wants without the stress...

I think these are the rubber insulators mentioned earlier: http://jdm-car-parts.com/collections/weather-strip-seal-rubber-nissan-datsun-fairlady-z-240z-260z-280z-280zx/products/front-bumper-side-bracket-insulator-set-240z

What I would do is bolt the bumpers up so there's a bit of tension from the bolts pulling in the ends of the bumper, then use a heat gun to heat the curved sections. After it's cooled the bumper should maintain its new shape, it might take a few heat cycles though. Repeat the process until it's where you want it to be, hopefully it will solve the problem.

Edited by morbias