HybridZ

transmission swap clarifications for l series motors.

gorillaman2012

So I've been digging around to find this and I'm lost as all hell. I know some places have bellhousing conversions to fit to the datsun l series motors but trying to find who all knows specifics. What transmissions can fit these other than the datsun 5 speeds? Possibly the 5 speed out of a z32 300zx?

Thanks for the insight!

• 2 weeks later...

First - I assume you are wanting a 5-spd for an L series motor? It will be easier if you have a 280Z but not too bad for the 240Z & 260Z.  There are at least 3 available that are pretty much straight swaps. The 5-spd used on the Z's from 77Z-80ZX. The one used on the 81ZX, and the ones used on the 82 & 83 ZX. They have different gear ratios designed to go with different differentials.  The Z32 transmission is not nearly as straight forward a swap. There are others out there but why make things harder than they need to be?

• 2 months later...

I know this is an older thread, but this all helped me. I have a question that is kind of related. If one were to do the 82/83 transmission and use the r200 lsd diff, what would I need to use the cv axles? I hope I asked that right. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just to add,

I have an S14 SR20 transmission. L28 bellhousing bolts right to the tail of the SR20. You just need to enlarge the center bearing hole and 1st/2nd shifter slot then machine the surface around the bearing down slightly for clearance.

The S14 housing is the same with the S13 KA's SOHC and DOHC as well.

Much smoother shifting, sealed bearings, cheaper, easier to find, OEM parts available still, and best of all, they're a hell of a lot stronger. 

As for the transmission mount, I just cut mine and moved it back and rewelded and added strengthening. Also had a shorter driveshaft made.

Here's a couple pics I found online.

img_0195.jpg?w=614&h=409
cover_shot.jpg?w=614&h=714

Link for those interested.

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/240sxtransmissioninstall/

Edited by Milenko2121