I have an intro thread, but I figured I'd start a build thread to be able to track the progress of this car over the next year or two.
I bought my S30 (72 240z) from a good friend I went to college with. He tried to get me to buy the car when we first met, but I never really had the time or the energy to start a massive project. I've been busy with my first project (turbocharged 8thgen Honda Si), as well as a new home which has placed a large parasite on my bank account.
Due to an insurance payout from my daily being totaled, I got into something a little more economical and finally told my friend I'd come by and pick up the Z.
Here she is being picked up and brought home
And here she is parked in her current resting place next to my other project
I just picked the car up as of 4/30/17, and I expect this build to take a few years - being that I plan on taking the car down to bare metal and then rebuilding it with as much modern technology as I can. So far, my build is expected to go as follows:
Suspension, braking, and Undercarriage:
- Techno Toy Tuning Coilover system
- Techno Toy 5 lug (5x114.3) conversion
- Techno Toy LCA, Tension, and lower cross-member upgrade
- Techno Toy rear-end conversion (ditches stub shafts for 5 lug hubs)
- Wilwood BMC
- Brembo conversion of an unknown type (TBD)
- Front Valance (type TBD)
- Fender flares (TBD)
- Duckbill Rear Spoiler (TBD)
- Custom retrofitted projector headlights (I can retro headlights, so it just depends what's available at the time)
- Modernized Gauge cluster, modernized HVAC controls with AC added (vintage air or similar)
- Upgraded head unit and speakers
- Bride Racing seats, harness bar, 5 pt. racing harnesses
- Reupholstered carpet and headline
I'm a little torn here, so I have two options:
- 300zx Transmission
- 300zx rear diff
- LSX crate motor
- T56 6-speed Transmission
- SR230 Rear diff
A lot of this is up in the air and tentative depending on how the build progresses. I'm open to advice/input so feel free to drop a comment if you have experience!
Made my first major stride of progress today. Yanked the L24 motor and 4 speed out!
I plan on having the interior fully stripped by the end of the week as well. My goal is to get it as bare-bones as possible and then determine where/when I can send it to get blasted and primpered
As I was stripping the car, I found what I had hoped I wouldn't. Nice area of rotted metal on the driver side rocker. Luckily I bought the car under the condition that there was no rot, so the previous owner is currently making arrangements to come up and patch the metal for me.
But the good news is, the rest of the car is coming along. Most of the wiring harness is out, and the dash is almost ready to come out!
Edited by Dark240Z, 2 weeks ago.