HybridZ
Franken Z

Driveshaft difficulties.

Franken Z    0

I've got my V8 in my Z and the driveshaft yoke did not fit into the 700R auto transmission.(Obviously) I figure I need to get my driveshaft cut and balanced but I'm not sure if I'm gonna need a new yoke, a new tailhousing for the transmission. Thoughts?

post-54769-0-47184900-1495439494_thumb.png

post-54769-0-88749000-1495439517_thumb.jpg

post-54769-0-73993200-1495439541_thumb.png

TimZ    21

Assuming you need the driveshaft shortened and not lengthened, you just need a new slip yoke that fits the 700r4, and a matching tube yoke, and to have it mated to your driveshaft, cut to the proper length and balanced.  If you are planning on keeping the flange and u-joint at the rear of the shaft, a 1310 series u-joint will be plenty strong.  Here's an example:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdh-2-3-6081x?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-dana-spicer-drivetrain-products&gclid=CKasltqBhtQCFd23wAod7NoHHA

Obviously if you need to lengthen the driveshaft you are pretty much starting over.  The 1310 series u-joints (non greasable) at both ends should still be plenty strong, unless you are making a LOT of torque on slicks...

Miles    32

For the same amount of effort, you could buy a Chevy, Camaro etc driveshaft at a wrecker and have it shortened and balanced with new U joints. The only other component required would be the flange adapter. The flange adapter P/N is available in several HybridZ posts.  JTR may still sell the adapter.

Note:

• Measure driveshaft carefully

• Use a reliable driveshaft shop

• Pay attention to driveshaft phasing/angles