HybridZ

exhuast weldings

Guest Zpeed

Hey, i know its a L series Z exhaust but it also relates to all exhaust

wat type of welding should i use to weld my new exhaust system in, i got it from a 2+2 and is extractors and a 2.25inch with a high flow muffler and big 4inch tip, looks crayz.. and it is in 2 halfs

my uncle has a mig welder is that good enough, anyone got anytips on how to do it, i was thinking of getting a 2.25 inch pipe and widening the ends to hold it together any suggestions

I have had some good success with my mig welder and using 75/25 Argon/ CO2 mix in the bottle. One word of caution, make sure you test weld a piece first to get your heat ratio down. On my lincoln Mig unit I'm running really low settings with the .030 wire. The other tips I would recommend are: Make absolutely sure the pipe is cleaned of any rust or dirt. You want clean good metal. The other is to get a can of "Anti Spatter" spray from your local welding supply store to minimize spatter from welding.

Thats about it..

mike

Mig will work fine as the guys above have said, but you could always expand one end and slide it over the other section and use a clamp, which makes it easier when/if you need to take the system off the car. I have always used oxy/acet. welding for exhausts, only because the weld is generally neater and I am more confident in the penetration of the weld because I can see the metal melting.

Just my 2c worth....

Tim

Guest Anonymous

Mig or gas whichever you have handy. Mig will be quite a bit faster and is IMHO way easier to tack while holding a piece into position.

Mikelly is right though, check your amperage as its easy stuff to blow through if you have the mig (or torch and or the tips to big) to hot.

For like headers gas is prefered I think from what I've read, although stainless is becoming a common exhaust material more so these days maybe tig would work as well or better than mig, depends on the TIG welder and his ability to get penetration. *shrug*

Regards,

Lone