HybridZ

injector cooling fan

Guest StreetVelocityGTR

Guest StreetVelocityGTR

on the 1986 300zx the engine had a injector cooling fan has anyone thought about using it as a electic supercharger by rerouting the hose just curiuos cense it dosent do any thing real useful

That fan is also used to help cool the motor once it engine is turned off. I had one on my 80' 280ZX. People would always come up to me after I shut my car off and tell me that it was running.....then I would tell them that its just a fan to cool the engine down once its turned off.

No way no how will that little electric motor push enough air to provide positive pressure in the intake aka boost. Electric superchargers are a joke and the only guys who actually use them are the ricers. There is no real cheap way of using a supercharger.

Guy

"What a stupid question."

:lol: That is what someone told me (not here) when I asked the same thing a few years back.. I figured it might be workable, but had no idea the amount of air you have to get into the intake to increase power.. like a super or turbo charger does. I had an audi turbo a while back, and it had a fan like that as well.. actually, looks a LOT like that e-bay 'scam'.. :wink: And it had duct work to blow cool air on the injectors. Same as my 280zx. It's funny, a friend of mine asked me the other day what I thought of electric superchargers.. I tried to explain without laughing that they are pretty much usless... like tits on a man...

Guest StreetVelocityGTR

Well just to let you know i wasent going to try it just found a guy where i live who did it and i thought it was funny, hint he's a ricer :)

• 4 weeks later...

i think the thing that is commonly mixed up between those electric "superchargers" and a real supercharger or turbocharger is that the electric things are blowers. they just move air.

a real supercharger or turbo is actually an air compressor... just like you'd have at the shop to power air tools. those air compressors use pistons to compress the air (some even do use a centrifugal type compressor as you would see on a turbo to compress the air). a blower is nothing more than a fan moving the air. there is no compression being done.

hell, even your engine powering the car is an air compressor... the same exact thing as in most shop air compressors. they're just pistons compressing air with some fuel mixed in so that it blows up and forces the piston back down with some power.

i'm sure most of you guys already knew this but i figured i would throw in my $.02