HybridZ

Help with my R200...please?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey Guys,

I've got a question...but first here's my problem. I've got an R200 non-LSD and it acts and sounds fine when it's cool or has been sitting for a couple of hours, but after driving for about 15-30 minutes, the diff starts sounding like it's running "dry" and making some whining...and also some clackity-clack noises when you get right in the break even between applying and letting off throttle. I'm running 2 quarts of 80W90 gear lube in it now, but I'm thinking that it's breaking down when it gets hot. I drained the lube yesterday and the car had been sitting for about 30 minutes and I could touch the ring gear by putting my finger through the drain hole...and I could only hold my finger on the gear for about 3 seconds before it started to burn my finger. I know that they get hot, but is this normal? Can I run heavier lube or maybe mix a quart of 80W90 with 85W145 to thicken it up some? I've read that the synthetic is good, but won't it get thinner also? It's just got me puzzled because when it's cold it runs GREAT and doesn't have any "play" to it at all...but as soon as it runs for a while it sounds like it's about to come apart. Anyone else had this problem or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Lee

------------------

260Z, 327, T5, JCR California Z

http://members.tripod.com/~SnowSurfer/ripnshred.html

Sounds like you have a problem there...

I am currently running Redline Synthetic in my differential and it has been in two different cars with this setup. I'm running the LSD W/3.7 gears from the 88Tzx. Mine is also running the shallow R200 diff cover, which isn't the best unit. I'm interested in Diff coolers and pumps for cooling these units.

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest Anonymous

Question for Mikelly,

I believe that you posted to someone else that you used that solid diff mount and didn't really hear any difference in noise from the rear end??? Is this correct? I installed the solid mount last night and I can hear a "SSSSssssss" type sound coming from the front of the diff when I'm driving...as long as you are going at least 20 MPH the sound is there and it doesn't change at faster speeds. So do you think this sound is a result of using the solid front diff mount?

And also...@#$@#$@$#$^%!!!!,

Last night I put another R200 in and it does the the same $#@^% thing! I changed to synthetic to be sure that it wasn't the lube breaking down on me, but it's the same...drive it while it cool and it sounds and feels great, but as soon as you drive about 15 minutes, it feels and sounds like the ring and pinion are "sloppy". There is no "gear whining" sound coming from this R200, but still the "sloppy" sound when it gets hot and you get right in the "break-even" between applying and letting off the throttle. Like when you are cruising on the highway at 65MPH and you let off the throttle very slowly, it starts doing this "clackety-clack-clackety-clack"...and it's definitely coming from the diff. The halfshafts and u-joints look great and have no play or slop to them. I called a Zcar shop here in Atlanta and the guy that rebuilds diffs said that the pinion flange torque shouldn't make a difference, as long as you tighten it down to at least 100lbs...so this R200 thing has REALLY got me disgusted!!! I'm about ready to put my !@#$% R180 back in there and if I rip it out then I'll go get another one to put in. I just don't understand what could be causing this problem...two R200's doing the same thing and the R180 was SMOOTH!!! HELP!!! smile.gif

Lee

------------------

260Z, 327, T5, JCR California Z

http://members.tripod.com/~SnowSurfer/ripnshred.html

I do use the aluminum mount and I have had no issues with vibration. One thing I did on the other car that I didn't do on this one was install a 5/8th piece of heater hose split open and used as a dampener between the mount and diff. for vibration. I didn't do it with this build because I didn't feel that it added anything as far as damping vibrations. I was right, as I have experienced no additional vibration or noise. As for the other problems you are having, take your car to that guy at the Zshop and put him in the passenger or drivers seat and have him experience it. He may be able to better understand the problem you re having if you are there with the car giving an example of the problem.

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk