HybridZ

Datsun Roadster: Need Brakes!

Hey I bought this 68 datsun 2000 roadster yesterday.

Its ridiculously fast but sucks balls at stopping, original brakes.

Its got a KA24DE with a Z31 turbo but I need to be able to stop.

Any advice on where to look for upgraded brake swaps or that type of thing?

c0_1.JPG

be_1.JPG

LOL...my freaking ass off....me and a good friend were talking about that same car last week, as we both have been keeping an eye on it when it was on eBay.

Over the winter we are going to embark on a KA24DET swap in his Roadster as well.

So the guy's description and pictures were pretty crap - actually what is the car like to drive and how smooth is it? Is it well built? Any corners cut? Any more pics you can share?

The popular swap for brakes ont hese cars is the 4piston '80s Volvo callipers -straight bolt in too. You may want to join the online Roadster forums.

Congrats great car - Yasin

im really surprised no one bought it. my friend sent me the link like 20 minutes after the auction ended so i emailed the seller and went to see it after work the next day (yesterday) and bought it on the spot.

it was 15 minutes away and way too good a deal to pass up.

i checked the engine plate today, its actually a 1600.

the car runs great, and from what ive explored its pretty well built.

it basically just the motor swap, turbo, a quick paint job and wheels, its by no means a fully restored car.

the suspension is stock so its a bit soft and bouncy.

there are several rattles ive gotta find.

only rust rust requiring repair is in the battery spot.

the exhaust pipe runs pretty low so speed bumps are a <2mph event.

theres a voltage leak somewhere which ill probably find tomorrow, for now i just unplug the battery when im done cruising.

one of the coolest things about the car is its small size and lack of blind spots, its just as easy to maneuver as my motorcycle, which is great when youre really paranoid about bumping into stuff backing up in parking lots or whatever.

all the lights and signals work, its just a great car to drive. it definitely attracts a lot of positive attention.

and not to mention this thing hauls balls. i can be cruising in 3rd and gas it till its boosting and it'll break the rear tires loose, sometimes. anytime in second for sure, its a blast.

im about to hook up my friends AEM to it right now and see how the car responds. its really starting to feel like the start of a summer.

ive just the other pictures from the auction, ill take some more this weekend and post them here or upload them to my picasa albums for sure.

John - Very Cool! Sounds like you got a great deal on the Roadster and it was well put together. I remembered from the description that he is using a Toyota truck radiator a Starion intercooler - right? What is the boost set to?

That car sits low too...wow...! I am not surprised that you have to take your time and crawl over bumps.

Your "breaking the tires loose in 3rd gear" makes me smile like crazy! I love it!

I am sure once you work out the few rattles and clean up the aesthetics, it will be a great car.

You are right these cars are so tiny its a great driving experience...I love them and have a special place in heart for them.

This is my buddies car that we will be embarking on a KA24DET swap sometime soon. This car burnt down in front of my house about 3years ago and my friend Mark just finished it this summer - three years and many $$$$ later! The U20 runs OK, put its no match for even a bone stock KA24 much less a turbo charged version...the cars needs a turbo on it bad...as the suspension is set-up and its tight. The car is probably the most beautiful Roadster I have seen and its a genuine low windshield 2000.

188012095.jpg

188012098.jpg

Post some more pics and I enjoyed your website too, love the liberal use of the word $hit! LOL

Yasin

There is a Volvo caliper that is almost a direct bolt on. I can't remember the model it came from exactly, so you might need to take one of the stock calipers in to the parts store and just compare. This is becoming a pretty common swap now as rebuilding the Roadster calipers is not a very good idea any more. They are far too expensive to replace and not really up to the task of handling the kind of power you have. Now, if you want to get crazy, here is what I did to my '67.5 with an SR20det. I had the front rotors from a 944 turbo machined to bolt to the stock Roadster hub assembly. Then I made brackets to mount the Brembo 4 pistons from that same Porsche. In the rear, I redrilled a pair of R32 GT-R rotors to 4 bolt then again I made brackets to mount the GT-R calipers. Even at 80mph, the car would stop hard enough to nearly put you through the windshield. I had never been able to get a set of stock brakes to feel any where near effective. You will also want to look into swapping the master cylinder. Original Roadster ones are nearly impossible to find and then they are over $300 usually. This will require some mods. Roadsters use SAE threads on all the brake lines. Any other Nissan master will be metric. I suggest you get a master for a 280ZX then simply change the nuts on the lines. 30 minutes with a flare tool and you will be in business.

Brian

yasin, youre right about the radiator and intercooler.

the turbo KA is a tight fit.

just got a boost gauge hooked up, its at about 6.5 psi.

just ordered the brakes today, they were $81 for a fully loaded pair of callipers. core was $66 so i hope they take my roadster brakes in exchange.

cant wait, this car is going to get me in some serious trouble if i dont swap the brakes soon.