HybridZ

Need help choosing 5.0 swap parts

MY77Z

It sounds like a pretty good deal. As for the rockers, It depends on what type the heads require. Bolt down or stud mount. As for the 1:72 ratio, that just increases the lift of your cam, not sure if it changes duration. I would say go for it. With the heads, you will increase your compression ratio a little also, witch means more horse power.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the description says hydraulic roller, but the picture is a flat tappet. Pretty radicle cam if it is a flat tappet like picture. It also says that it is not computer controlled campatable also. It does say that is a hydraulic roller in two places, they have to have the wrong picture.

Guest Gr8White
hi guys, i think i found a good deal on heads, edelbrock performer RPMs, ported and polished, 60cc, no rockers, no springs for 500 bucks, used but clean...what do you guys think?

if i get them, what cam do you guys recommend? and can i use the rockers i have now? mine are 1.72...

thanks

It sounds like a good deal, but I am very wary of heads advertising a full port and polish. You can ruin a good set of heads with a bad port job. No springs is not a big deal anyway since you should always replace your valvesprings IMHO when buying a used set of heads. you don't know how much use these have on them and could limit your power output with a worn set. Are there flow numbers for the heads? If there aren't why not?

Any good head porter will do a bench flow as part of the deal. If there are no flow sheets I would pass, probably a backyard porter :eek2:....Otherwise, the Edelbrock RPMs are excellent street/strip heads.

Quit being stubborn and buy the 51012 Lunati....

280zwitha383 thanks alot, happy to see that you are still concerend about my ride :) i'm glad too to have Gr8White here in this forum, he helped me alot......

Will, heheheheheheh i'm not stubborn, ok 51012 Lunati is the cam i'm gonna buy, CAM choise = done :)

about the heads, i asked the guy about em and he said, well i have no sheets and its a 2.2 intake, 1.9 exhaust and 60cc, he's been running them for a year and thats all he told me....

maybe tomorow i'm gonna take the heads to a port and polish shop that i know, i'll let him inspect the heads, if he tells me that they are in good shape, i'll take em, about the springs and the rockers, what do you recommend?? what does IMHO mean?? if its ok, send me parts number for the springs and rockers, and i'm getting the lunati :)

thanks Will

Guest Gr8White
280zwitha383 thanks alot, happy to see that you are still concerend about my ride :) i'm glad too to have Gr8White here in this forum, he helped me alot......

Will, heheheheheheh i'm not stubborn, ok 51012 Lunati is the cam i'm gonna buy, CAM choise = done :)

about the heads, i asked the guy about em and he said, well i have no sheets and its a 2.2 intake, 1.9 exhaust and 60cc, he's been running them for a year and thats all he told me....

maybe tomorow i'm gonna take the heads to a port and polish shop that i know, i'll let him inspect the heads, if he tells me that they are in good shape, i'll take em, about the springs and the rockers, what do you recommend?? what does IMHO mean?? if its ok, send me parts number for the springs and rockers, and i'm getting the lunati :)

thanks Will

LMAO!!!! If this guy said 2.2 intake and 1.9 exhaust then I would pass since the guy is obviously clueless and trying to sell you something that it's not. Those are friggin Detroit Diesel valves! I believe these heads come stock with 1.90 and 1.60 valves or so, but may have been swapped for a 2.02/1.60. I'm fairly sure the largest valves would be 2.08/1.62 and those might be too large with the rpm heads.

You are better off with a box stock set of assembled heads than a poorly ported set of modified ones. It's much harder to fix a head than to do it right. Take it to your head guy and see what he thinks. Regardless, buyer beware...There's an old saying that I heard once and it stuck with me- The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the cheap price is forgotten.

If these have a good port job then they are worth it, otherwise keep looking. Look for some AFR 185's with a decent port and polish. These scream with a good port job and would be a beast with the 51012, You better be pointed straight when you hit 4500 rpm...If you can get your flow#'s into the 300 cfm intake/220+exhaust range @ .600" lift you will be very happy with the power. Start saving for that Dart or R block now. Good choice on the cam!!! You will love the 51012 on or off the jug.

IMHO= In my humble opinion.

Let me know how it goes. Seeya.

holly $hit, 1750 bucks for a 302 R block???? do i really need a R block ? plus it weighs 160lbs, shippin alone is about 600 bucks :(

IMHO i'll pass for now until i split my block in 2 :)

well, i'll check the heads tomorow and let you know how it goes Will,

do you have any idea about D.S.S's level 20 blocks?? are they any good?

P.S. i forgot to tell you Will, there is a guy here who ran a 10.87 with the same 215s that i have :)

Guest Gr8White
holly $hit, 1750 bucks for a 302 R block???? do i really need a R block ?

Maybe, maybe not. Overall HP and tune will determine that.

IMHO i'll pass for now until i split my block in 2 :)

If I had a buck for every time I heard that, I'd buy the block for you...

do you have any idea about D.S.S's level 20 blocks?? are they any good?

A turd is a turd, in any disguise

P.S. i forgot to tell you Will, there is a guy here who ran a 10.87 with the same 215s that i have :)

What, a 10.87 @ 155 mph? I'd love to see the 60'...........

Maybe he was talking about 1/8th mile....:mrgreen:

hi Will,

i have a small question, when i floor my Z from 1st gear, she spins like hell with alot of power then go straight, when i shift to 2nd (not powershifting) the car seems to drop for a sec, looses power, then raise again and go fast???? is it my clutch? my 2.5 single exhause, is it my tranny, or is it my engine? i haven't tryed powershiftin yet due to the MC/SC problems i'm havin now... but what do you think ? had the same problem with my mustang before i swaped the engine?

Guest Gr8White
hi Will,

i have a small question, when i floor my Z from 1st gear, she spins like hell with alot of power then go straight, when i shift to 2nd (not powershifting) the car seems to drop for a sec, looses power, then raise again and go fast???? is it my clutch? my 2.5 single exhause, is it my tranny, or is it my engine? i haven't tryed powershiftin yet due to the MC/SC problems i'm havin now... but what do you think ? had the same problem with my mustang before i swaped the engine?

You have never experienced a slipping clutch? If you have a stock 5.0 clutch with a power adder you are soon going to learn the sensation. A slipping clutch will allow the engine to rev up without putting power to the ground in gear. Sounds like you are bogging the car. What rpm do you shift at and what drop off in RPM do you see between shifts?? You are going to have to learn to drive your car like you stole it!!!!

I remember when I had my T-5 I was yanking the transmission as frequently as an Arkansas dentist pulls teeth. T-5's suck, better prepare it for the funeral if you drive it like you mean it.

hi Will, the heads i told you about have 2.02 and 1.6 valves,60cc tomorow i'll take them to my friend to check them, i think the lunati is hell of a big cam for me, i'm looking more into the 1500-6000rpm range, i saw this edelbrock cam and would like you to check it out.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=EDL%2D7122&autoview=sku

those are the rockers too, what do you think ?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=PRO%2D66911&autoview=sku

at least i'll have a whole edelbrock performer RPM combo, heads, intake and intake manifold and cam shaft...what do you think?? if they are ok, what other parts do i need to install the whole thing? do i need new timing chain or not? simply what other stuff do i need?

thanks Will

Guest Gr8White
hi Will, the heads i told you about have 2.02 and 1.6 valves,60cc tomorow i'll take them to my friend to check them, i think the lunati is hell of a big cam for me, i'm looking more into the 1500-6000rpm range, i saw this edelbrock cam and would like you to check it out.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=EDL%2D7122&autoview=sku

those are the rockers too, what do you think ?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=PRO%2D66911&autoview=sku

at least i'll have a whole edelbrock performer RPM combo, heads, intake and intake manifold and cam shaft...what do you think?? if they are ok, what other parts do i need to install the whole thing? do i need new timing chain or not? simply what other stuff do i need?

thanks Will

Flat tappet cams don't do so well in roller blocks, Ali.....It's a baby cam anyway.

I don't know why you are so hesitant on the 51012. I shifted my car at 6100 with this cam and got around 15 mpg with the AC on...Driving 2 hours to the track....Powerband is 2500-6500. Even if the cam above was a roller cam, it's WAY too small.

However, if you enjoy seeing taillights it's the right size cam for you....

• 1 month later...

Will, i think i need your help here, correct me if i'm wrong, the ford tranny needs a pushing style SC to push the fork toward the engine no ?? i bought i wilwood SC and i didn't know that it was only pull type :( any idea how to deal with this problem?

check this thread to understand better what i'm saying http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=113179

thanks Will

• 3 weeks later...

ok guys, finally i'm done with the clutch thing, thank God, http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=113179

last page of this thread explains how we did install it, simply, we installed the SC in the same place where the stock cable sits by fabricating an aluminum piece that slips on the SC and goes into the bellhousing whole, so now the SC is next to the engine and pulls the fork toward the engine, i test drove the car and it drives good, can't floor it yet since the clutch is brand new, will let you know how it goes :)

thanks everyone

hi guys,

good news, i found used edelbrock performer heads 60cc/2.02/1.6, with 1.6 ford motor sport rockers for 600bucks, i'll go and check them tomorow, if they any good, i'm buyin them and gonna order the lunati 51012 cam Will told me about :) i think my Z will be a bit faster with new set of heads and a cam ;)