HybridZ

the start of the B.customs Z has begun..2jz 1000hp

Overkill Z

According to supraforums, the r154 currently has 2 members putting 7xxrwhp on them, if i recall correctly. Every one knows its just a ticking time bomb. As far as clutchs that will hold the power for the r154, ogura(ORC) makes up to a quad-plate clutch. They also say that the soarer r154 are a bit stronger than the US spec mkIII turbo r154's. Something about the larger something. I forgot. I personally went with the getrag, but then again, i got it for a steal. Best of luck with your project.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

According to supraforums, the r154 currently has 2 members putting 7xxrwhp on them, if i recall correctly. Every one knows its just a ticking time bomb. As far as clutchs that will hold the power for the r154, ogura(ORC) makes up to a quad-plate clutch. They also say that the soarer r154 are a bit stronger than the US spec mkIII turbo r154's. Something about the larger something. I forgot. I personally went with the getrag, but then again, i got it for a steal. Best of luck with your project.

There are better options than hunting an orc clutch. Duane's car has the new carbon clutch for the r154 and it works great. Sean at titan can get them. however i wouldnt throw 1000hp at any manual trans and call it a day. dont know how much u looked but almost all the 900+rwhp supras are built autos ie th400. 1000rwhp cars are a PAIN in the ass to drive manual.

There are better options than hunting an orc clutch. Duane's car has the new carbon clutch for the r154 and it works great. Sean at titan can get them. however i wouldnt throw 1000hp at any manual trans and call it a day. dont know how much u looked but almost all the 900+rwhp supras are built autos ie th400. 1000rwhp cars are a PAIN in the ass to drive manual.

Not so much hunting, taka kaira has them listed on the site and comes with the correct throwout bearing. I believe it was 2-2500 for the quad-plate. pretty reasonable to me. Is the carbon carbon you refer to from rps ? Both great and sad stories from that company, but regardless, more options for the r154.

Im not here to argue but there are a lot of people running the stock 6spd w/ power. Ryan Woon from WOTM is almost making 1300rwhp on the 6 spd and trapping 171, Gary White who's trapping 180 in the 1/4 is also on the stock 6spd. Boost Logic, i believe their other car, traps 172 w/ the stock 6spd, Dana Dichara with a 171 on the 6spd. Few of these cars make this trap speed are also full weight as well, thats 3500+. we can go all day listing the fast 6spd's. The people running the th400, power glide, l40e, etc just want to run, and time more reliably/consistently in the 1/4. I say you can go wrong both ways, but some people regret going auto. the high rpm's @ highway speeds, no more "fun" driving around town, etc... but that is all subjective.

the 154 is a waste. I would go with the getrag 6 ad call it a day after putting a nice 6 puck clutch.....It is widely known in the is 300 community that the 154 will not hold up to abuse.........I owned a is 300 for 7 years.....

Perhaps the people using the R154 could learn not to ABUSE it. As already stated, there are plenty of 500+HP vehicles running the R154 without trouble. Of course, if one has $6k-$10k to toss at the Getrag and the proper clutch, then I'd have a hard time arguing.

i dont think he means the weight distribution, but more that the z weighs 2/3's that of a the supra. less mass means less force on the drivetrain to move itself, therefore a 154 handling way more than power on a z than a supra.

true but how much? thats why i weighed the Z with the L28 in it...im curious to see how it effect the 50/50 distrabusion.

Thanks for clarifying. Thats what I was trying to get at.

Justin

i dont think he means the weight distribution, but more that the z weighs 2/3's that of a the supra. less mass means less force on the drivetrain to move itself, therefore a 154 handling way more than power on a z than a supra.

• 1 month later...
Guest YoshiFD3S

POST PICS DAMN YOUUUUUUUUUU!!!

lol

I'm undergoing a 2JZ swap in my '93 FD, but I'm considering going 240Z instead. I wanna see and hear what you guys think about it.

My brother's got a project '71 240Z, 440rwhp RB25'd 280Z, and a project KA24-T '71 4-door 510.

Lovin' it.

:D

POST PICS DAMN YOUUUUUUUUUU!!!

lol

I'm undergoing a 2JZ swap in my '93 FD, but I'm considering going 240Z instead. I wanna see and hear what you guys think about it.

My brother's got a project '71 240Z, 440rwhp RB25'd 280Z, and a project KA24-T '71 4-door 510.

Lovin' it.

:D

I KNOWWWW IM sorry man i have not been able to post pics on here cause i need to get a photobucket set up. Alot of the pics are on our my myspace tho. www.myspace.com/lbrtcustoms

UPDATE

i have 5 grand saved ready to buy my 6speed..after that in the next week or so all i need are..

crossmemeber for the 2jz from BETA motorsports

flywheel

clutch

driveshaft

intercooler

radiator

injectors

and thats IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's never IT, but looks like you are getting close :-)

LOL ya im CLOSE but i decided to get a 5 speed r154 yesterday instead of the 6 speed wich should speed things up a bit in the money catagory. Im goign to rebuilt the 5speed as stong as i can..anyone know any companies that sell race kits for the r154s? i found a place that cryogenically heat treats transmition parts that makes them as strong as chromoly steal. Im also going to have the trust washers built out of titanium from a mechin shop because those are the week points of the r154 i hear.... anything else?????????

UPDATE

i have 5 grand saved ready to buy my 6speed..after that in the next week or so all i need are..

crossmemeber for the 2jz from BETA motorsports

flywheel

clutch

driveshaft

intercooler

radiator

injectors

and thats IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have one of Jame Thagards original intercoolers available. Don't really want to sell, but desperate times....

I haven't had too much luck with cryogenically treating gears. I would definitely look at a beefed up thrust washer. IDK if titanium is your best bet for a thrust washer though. I'd look at different materials if I were you.

Justin

well i could make one out of chromoly, i have heard of people doing that...have you tried the cryogenic heat treatment??? what happond??? why do you not reccomend it?