HybridZ

Euro 84 L28 siamesed?

JelmerPatrol

Siamesed means the cylinder walls don't have any gap between them. Unfortunately, people usually think it means the opposite.

For example, I just pulled my N42 block out of the parts washer about an hour ago and looking at the water jackets through the holes where the core plugs would fit, the only space I could see the other side of the block through the cylinder walls was between 3&4.

When I got my F54 block back from the machinist you could barely see between each cylinder wall. Before cleaning they were blocked with sediment which sort of defeated the purpose of having those extra water passages.

Long story short; if its an F54, then it is not siamesed.

Have proof?

What is that comment for, i just try to share the knowledge i get by reading what all the wise guys write on this forum and other places, instead of telling to use the search function, do you want me to take out the core plugs of my F54 to check or do you want to share what you know?...

I will say it for the billionth time, on this forum. 5 years ago, I broke out my sonic tester and came to the conclusion that the F54 is NOT, Siamesed. It has water passages between EACH and EVERY cylinder, therefor not a good block for big bores. The N42 is connected between each cylinder on 1-2 2-3 4-5 5-6. Therefore the true siamesed block.

Your comment on being that the 54 is the siamesed block is incorrect.

...and some engine builders would prefer NOT to have siamesed cylinders anyway. They distort differently, and less "roundly", than non. Don Potter was a big fan of the 1975-76 year blocks even for an all out turbo build.