HybridZ

swapping LSD from one r200 to another open r200 question.

Guest TurboHatch

Guest TurboHatch

I searched and found two threads about backlash, 1 says that .003-.007 is the range and another says .004 to .008 is the range, well that aside i planned on measuring the open diffs backlash and just matching it once i swap the LSD over so this brings me to my question, I currently have a r200 with a 3.70 geared LSD and I just bought a 3.54 open r200 my plan is to just swap over the LSD to the 3.54 in doing so should i just be able to reuse the shims from the open carrier or will the diffs be machined different that i might have to use the shims from the LSD carrier or a mix and match of both? basically I am looking for people that have done this and see what they ran into before I get started.

Guest TurboHatch
Backlash is .0051 to .0071 :)

now thats the third different answer to that question i have found on the forums lol can any one chime in on this as well?

The shims should be the same if you're using a Nissan LSD. If it's something else then they might be different. Mine changed from .005 to .0055 when I swapped the open for the Nissan LSD. Just measure before and after, and if it's different after, shim it to the before measurement to keep the wear pattern on the gears right and you're good to go.