HybridZ

Reconditioning OEM 240Z Leather Seats

mxgsfmdpx

After searching through about 20 pages of the interior section, and numerous searches using different combinations of "leather" "seat" "cleaner" "cleaning" etc. I have not come across any threads discussing the cleaning/reconditioning of the OEM leather seats. I am sure the info is on here, just having some trouble finding anything.

My seats are in perfect shape, no rips, the leather is perfect etc. I just want to clean and shine them up to look brand new again. I was trying to find out if anybody had any info on which of the MANY leather cleaners available is the best one for our Z's leather seats?

Any experiences with different brands?

Any brands that are harsh on the old leather?

A simple google search works fine and there is tons of info out there regarding cleaning leather, but I wanted some opinions/trials from S30 owners.

Thank you!

OEM 240z seats are vinyl. If you have leather seats then somebody recovered them.

Okay. I thought they were made from a faux leather (leather/vinyl/polymer mixture)

With this being corrected, my question still stands about what cleaning options have been used. Thanks.

Edited by mxgsfmdpx

I don't think any cleaner out there is going to get the seats looking new... if you want them to look new, and even feel new(er), think about buying a seat refresh kit from MSA or another vendor (a kit that has new foam and such) and some new seat covers. It's pretty easy to do and they will look awesome. Trying to recondition the old seat covers is probably not very cost effective.

They feel awesome, and like I said, they are in great shape. No tears, cracks, the foam is really nice... just the material is a bit dull.

I figured some of the Meguiars or Mothers brand stuff, or something equivalent, would work well to treat the material and shine them up. Wanted to avoid something that somebody on here might have found to be harsh on the material. Just wanted some opinions on that if anybody has done it to these specific seats. All hybrid vinyl/leather/polymer seats react differently to different brands of cleaners.

Thanks for the replies and info.

I used the meguiars vinyl/rubber stuff on one of my cars, I wouldnt put it on the seats. It works very well, but leaves almost like a layer of greasy feeling/sticky thing at the same time.

Altho Im not sure if drys or something if you leave it over time. I didnt really think to keep an eye on it until a couple weeks later and the dash was like normal.

I used the meguiars vinyl/rubber stuff on one of my cars, I wouldnt put it on the seats. It works very well, but leaves almost like a layer of greasy feeling/sticky thing at the same time.

Altho Im not sure if drys or something if you leave it over time. I didnt really think to keep an eye on it until a couple weeks later and the dash was like normal.

Good info. This is exactly why I posted this thread. A lot of the "Vinyl/Rubber/Plastic" protectants from Meguiars and Mothers seem to always be very greasy/sticky, and while the seats are supposedly vinyl, they seem like they wouldn't accept these types of protectants very well.

Most of the leather care kits include a conditioner, cleaner, and then a final spray on detailer. Wondering if these will work better or will be too harsh?

Was hoping for people to chime in like your post, on what they have used, and their opinion on it.

Thanks!