HybridZ

RB25 engine swap into my 300zx

Bennymac

have you, or do you kno anyone who has done an engine swap on a 300 before?

Yup, there's a guy in Aussie who has dropped a Leyland P76 donk in a Z31.

I advise you read the stickies in the RB forum and Z31 forum, there's a reason they are stickied.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

You'll need engine mounts, crossmember and driveshaft modified or made.

Some advice..  unless you have a decent budget to throw at it, don't bother.   You'll need the cash for when stuff starts breaking.   In particular the coils are expensive and hard to get.  In the end, by the time you have an RB swapped in, the money you spent on that motor, that work, all the fabrication and crap, you could have a VG30 making twice as much power, twice as reliable and probably even a second block sitting around just in case.

The RB swap in the Z31 in the United States is cool for sure, but just not really practical for a daily driver.   

If you're wondering how I know, I've had both an RB20 and an RB25 in my old Z31.  As far as I've ever seen, I was the first to ever have an RB25DET running Z31.   In hindsight, completely not worth the trouble.  That's why I'm building a VG30 in my next Z.   Stick with the old maxims...     "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."    and especially:  "Keep it Simple Stupid."   

Best of luck if you do try and swap.   

• 1 year later...

I have a 87 z and I'm swapping engines to a rb25det, I have engine tranny (automatic transmission) ecu,harness,etc but I have to get the mounts cross member and modify driveshaft. I need to know were I can get the harness adapters or any other things I need to complete it. thanks in advance

Edited by GodspeedZ

You need a rear sump oil pan, enjuku has options specifically for the Z31, mckinney makes a rear sump for the S30 which may or may not work properly...

The motor mounts are better off made locally, it's easy to do, and you should be able to modify the Z31 trans mount to work...

• 3 weeks later...