8 replies to this topic

#1 Bennymac

Bennymac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:17 PM

Anybody have any advice on what i need to do to prepare the engine bay of my 87 300zx to drop this RB25 into it? i feel a little stuck right now and any help would be awesome!!
thanks,
Ben

#2 Calico

Calico

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationPA.

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:28 AM

I believe McKinny motor sports makes a kit. I know alot of ppl talk about the now obsolete 200ZR mounts, pan and cross member (JDM)

No parts for sale links allowed in signature.
Links removed.

#3 Bennymac

Bennymac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:04 AM

sickkkk thanks a bunch!! McKinny is pretty legit, im definitely gonna look into them more... have you, or do you kno anyone who has done an engine swap on a 300 before?

#4 kiwi303

kiwi303

Window licker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • LocationTasman District, Nelson, NZ

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:19 AM

have you, or do you kno anyone who has done an engine swap on a 300 before?

Yup, there's a guy in Aussie who has dropped a Leyland P76 donk in a Z31.

I advise you read the stickies in the RB forum and Z31 forum, there's a reason they are stickied.
I wanna go faster!

Sarcasm, among other things, can be hard to detect over the internet.

#5 lookingoodzxt

lookingoodzxt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationAllentown PA

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:17 AM

I`m doing the swap in my Z31, take a look at my post on z31performance.com
http://www.z31perfor...hp?f=13&t=16640

#6 Dramier

Dramier

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationDFW, TX

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

You'll need engine mounts, crossmember and driveshaft modified or made.

Some advice..  unless you have a decent budget to throw at it, don't bother.   You'll need the cash for when stuff starts breaking.   In particular the coils are expensive and hard to get.  In the end, by the time you have an RB swapped in, the money you spent on that motor, that work, all the fabrication and crap, you could have a VG30 making twice as much power, twice as reliable and probably even a second block sitting around just in case.

The RB swap in the Z31 in the United States is cool for sure, but just not really practical for a daily driver.   

If you're wondering how I know, I've had both an RB20 and an RB25 in my old Z31.  As far as I've ever seen, I was the first to ever have an RB25DET running Z31.   In hindsight, completely not worth the trouble.  That's why I'm building a VG30 in my next Z.   Stick with the old maxims...     "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."    and especially:  "Keep it Simple Stupid."   

Best of luck if you do try and swap.   

'76 280Z - "Undergoing Restoration"

#7 GodspeedZ

GodspeedZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Locationconcord8339

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:43 AM

I have a 87 z and I'm swapping engines to a rb25det, I have engine tranny (automatic transmission) ecu,harness,etc but I have to get the mounts cross member and modify driveshaft. I need to know were I can get the harness adapters or any other things I need to complete it. thanks in advance

Edited by GodspeedZ, 15 September 2014 - 04:49 AM.

#8 G-E

G-E

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:47 PM

You need a rear sump oil pan, enjuku has options specifically for the Z31, mckinney makes a rear sump for the S30 which may or may not work properly...

The motor mounts are better off made locally, it's easy to do, and you should be able to modify the Z31 trans mount to work...

#9 GodspeedZ

GodspeedZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Locationconcord8339

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:50 AM

need a little help on the wiring for engine swap. rb 25det into my z31. thanks in advance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users