HybridZ

We need information about digital dash

We recently bought a car that has been a show car. It has a V8 and was on the audio show circuit. All of the Z wiring was removed, the dash and everything under the dash. We have the original dash but would be interested in a digital dash.

We also have a donor car for parts and wiring.

We have found digital instruments for the car. Would the instruments fit in our non digital dash and how is the wiring different?

Are the digital systems problematic? Take a lok of our car:

BennyZ-Car

waskomtexas@waskomtexas.com

Guest Anonymous

I'd just use a aluminum racing dash kit (universal cut to fit) from Jegs or Summit Racing. If you wish to use a stock type dash then I'd still check with the digital gauge people mentioned below as they may be able to help.

For gauges if your wanting digital, look at the pre-made gauge panels Dakota Digital has, there are several other companies doing digital dash gauges as well. The dakota units are pretty nice looking though, popular with some of the street rod guys.

If you want heat and air, it would be a good time to deal with that now with no dash in it. Vintage air might be the best route since you could get excellent cooling and heating in one small unit. Run a few ducts to the new dash and voila superior heat and air.

Regards,

Lone

Check out Nordskog'swebsite. They have some very nice digital gauges which can fit in the Z dash without modification. Their catalogue is free, but their prices are quite high, but the quality is apparently excellent and their gauges have memory for high/low readings and the ability to connect warning lights preset at whatever level you like (eg, low oil pressure or high coolant temp).

Tim

Take not only my, but anyone else who has a digital dash in their ZX - DON'T use the factory dash/instuments.

I have had constant problems with mine.

Currently there is an errant ground wire someplace that causes the dash to brighten and dim, and the speedo doesn't work (odometer does!).

I'd yank out the damn thing and put a '79 analog (130 mps) in it if I were'nt putting my money into my '75 SBC/Auto conversion.