HybridZ

HELP - Fuel Starvation Under Load

240zip

I have a set of triple webers, a filter king fuel filter, and some fuel pump which I don't know the name of, but it makes a rumbling noise in the back.

post-1627-014401500 1305322385_thumb.jpg

I have a wideband A/F meter and also a fuel pressure gauge in-line after the fuel filter. At idle, the gauge shows 3psi and then when I start it drops nearly to zero. The A/F ratio is about 9.8 at idle and then under load it can jump to 14 or even 16 / 18. I pull off the gas if it goes up that high. The filter has a glass bowl so I can see it's only getting 1/2 full.

My gut tells me the fuel pump is bad. It's the only thing in the set-up that's old. But I'm not sure if those filter king fuel filters are supposed to be 1/2 full. I'm pretty sure they'll work with webers as I've seen them in pictures of vintage race cars with triples.

Any recommendations on where to start?

If you have the stock electric pump in the back there are 2 filters back there - 1 before the fuel pump, and one IN the fuel pump. Also, the stock rear electric pump was not meant to pump enough gas to run on. It is there to help get the mechanical pump primed - long story short, you need another pump up by the motor if it's the stocker in the back.

Yes. If you are only going to use the holly red (without the electric pump by the tank) you'll need to mount it in back by the tank lower than the pickup point. It likes to push better than pull. You'll want to isolate it with rubber mounts as it's a bit noisy. Mine is mounted in front right wheel well and I can hear it.