HybridZ

S30 door alignment

drvrswntd

Long story short, I had to take the driver door from one of my S30s to complete another one, and I am not sure if I can align it, or if I need to have the door bent.

The rear lines up perfectly, the front top lines up perfectly, the bottom front of the driver door is proud of the rest of the bottom gap by about 1/2 inch.

Rear OK a60fb684.jpg

Front, three angles:

caeb84c6.jpg

0f145a27.jpg

4b035ac1.jpg

Any thoughts?

Remove the door latch striker plate from the lock pillar before starting your door alignment., as it can cause the door to misalign if not set correctly. Next loosen all the hinge bolts to the door with the exception of the outer upper most hinge bolt to the door. Now push the lower section of the door inward toward the hinge pillar. and tighten the lower outer most bolt , Check for alignment. Sometimes if all of the hinge bolts are tight it may not allow the door to rotate on the opposite hinge. If all is well after this then reinstall and adjust the striker.

Also check the inner door jamb at the upper rear and upper front where it is welded to the outer panel . Z doors are known to stress crack in these areas.

part of the problem could be excessive paint buildup on the pillar where the door hinge contacts the pillar

and the back side of the door hinge.

also,i believe the bottom of the door can move in slightly if you loosen the bottom hinge bolts on the door.

slotting the bolt holes on the door bottom is also an option.

Thanks Larry, I will check those areas and make adjustments. No striker on the door at present, so it isnt that.

part of the problem could be excessive paint buildup on the pillar where the door hinge contacts the pillar

and the back side of the door hinge.

also,i believe the bottom of the door can move in slightly if you loosen the bottom hinge bolts on the door.

slotting the bolt holes on the door bottom is also an option.

Thanks, I'll check that; it was stripped when the body work was done so I doubt is is build up, and the door came off another donor car (so my guess is they just bent the heck out of the door previously in order to get it to line up on the donor, and now it is out of true). But the bolt holes will be my next check.

Edited by drvrswntd