HybridZ

Found some kind of gold colored patch on floor boards

So I was in the process of getting ready for new floor pans. But I noticed that after scraping away and cutting, that there's some kind of gold or brass sheet as patch that was welded to the floor board weird. Here is a picture of it. Does anyone have some info about this kind of work?

1641720e.jpg

I found the same kind of repair on another vehicle of mine recently. On the inner fender, just under the battery tray it had been repaired in the past with a brass solder job. Mine was a small spot, so I ground off the brass and welded up the hole with a proper patch piece.

Same on my car i had the lower front fender part brass soldered to the fender. I think its an half assed way of repairing or welding something but im am probably wrong i dunno much about welding.

Brazing is almost a lost art. There was a time not so long ago before mig and tig welders were widely available when every mechanic in every gas station would repair metal with a torch and some brazing rod. The process is not totally dissimilar to tig. A heat source and a filler rod. Lots of body panels were brazed and then filled with lead. Lead is still in use by hardcore hotrodders, but that too is going the way of the dinosaur. Bondo is to real bodymen as PVC pipe is to real plumbers. That said the modern methods are safer and more environmentally friendly. Welding is slowly being replaced today with panelbond. Who knew you could glue a car together?

When I started working in a garage, in 1981 in Maryland. Guys at our shop would always braze exhaust hangers back to exhaust pipes or fill holes in exhaust with brazing rod. And yes it is a lost art. We would even use coat hangers if all the rods were gone. Newer hangers don't work as well.

I still use brazing rods and a torch to do certain metal projects, Younger guys I work with will ask me what the hell is that. :o) Old School Baby.

Brazing is used for set lines when installing a/c units in homes.

Sweeting the lines will not hold up to the pressure.

One thing about brazing is that the silver brazing rods are not

cheep. I really enjoy brazing it not for everything but it is fun.

Not too long ago, if you had a race car chassis, the tube junctions were brazed as it doesn't heat the base metals anywhere near the point that they change their strength characteristics.

Brass, silverbrazing, all lost arts indeed judging by the first few comments.

There was a time when brazing was preferred to welding as it was more reliable to do in the field!

and don't forget wire welding, and I'm not talking about mig / tig

I did my brother flares on his Holden Torana this way.

I still use it to fuse thin metal together, since my mig skills are still developing.

Nigel

"Damascus Flares" :lol:

Using an oxy torch to do any joinery is a dying art, and that is really a shame as you can do so much with it!

I did all my I/C piping with Oxy-Acetylene simply because it's what I had. People couldn't tell the difference