HybridZ

1983 Digital Dash Problems

Hey guys!

So I've recently run into some issues with the Z, The digital dash is going haywire most of the time, and I have no idea what's causing it.

-The temperature gauge works off and on, when it's on it's fine, sometimes it flickers, sometimes it doesn't work at all. (I've checked the wiring and everything is connected)

-Recently the tach turns all green or blinks or the bars at the top start to light up along with the bars on the bottom

-The numbers are backwards, 39 mph, the 9 is backwards, and "0" mph is an 8.

-The gas gauge scrolls up and down, sometimes it works, but rarely.

Any suggestions? Did this one kick the can?

Thanks

Jordan

Find another one, or replace the gauges with some AutoMeters. I have had an issue the temp gauge in my 83 for the last 4 years and I can't seem to find anyone that is able to work on it. There is a guy who works on Z31 digital gauges but he wouldn't do anything for me. There are no parts available. I tried to contact the manufaturer to get a schematic for the circuits, but it's too old and they don't want to help.

Have you taken it out and disassembled it? You might find some cleanup is needed. If you have had leaking t-tops, there could have been some moisture in the cluster that may need to be cleaned off of the circuitboards with some alcohol and q-tips. If you need pics of the componants inside I can post them.

The temp and gas gauge on mine didnt work, I pulled the cluster and split it open yesterday. if you unscrew the board that has the speedo and tac on it there is a fuse that is soldered onto the board. I heated mine, pulled the fuse, and replaced. Works like a charm.... For now.

The temp and gas gauge on mine didnt work, I pulled the cluster and split it open yesterday. if you unscrew the board that has the speedo and tac on it there is a fuse that is soldered onto the board. I heated mine, pulled the fuse, and replaced. Works like a charm.... For now.

There is a recall on that fuse. The dealer is suposed to solder in a new fuse holder to make it easier to replace. I don't know if the dealer will do it anymore, but I can look up the partnumber if you're interested.