HybridZ

Kameari vs Tomei 1mm Head Metal Headgasket

zack_280

I was recently on a quest to find a 1mm Metal headgasket. While I was on this quest I ordered some stuff from MSA and asked about the availability of the Kameari headgasket. It was going to have to come from Japan and would take 3-4weeks. So I called EDO Performance to inquire about the Tomei gasket. It also had to be ordered from Japan and there was a 3-4 week wait. I went with the slightly cheaper Tomei brand gasket.

To my surprise MSA charged me $300+ more for my order than it was supposed to be and both gaskets came in at about the same time (actually the EDO one came in a few days sooner). So I thought I would do a quick comparison while I had both here and post up some general information for those of us who may be considering dropping way too much on a metal head gasket.

The comparison result is that these gaskets are identical in every way. At least as far as I can tell. The coolant/oil passages are the same, the finish is the same and the construction is the same. The only difference is that the Tomei gasket came with some stickers and the Kameari gasket had none. I would say that rare Japanese parts manufacturer stickers are worth at least 10RWHP not to mention the aerodynamical improvements. So I guess the Tomei gasket would be the better performance choice of the two with the added benefit of also being the economical choice. See pics below for details. I put the Tomei gasket in a Tomei sticker sandwich, so it would be easy to tell which is which.

IMG_20110524_220417.jpg

Zack

Edited by zack_280

The Tomei was $261 plus shipping of $17. I bought it from EDO performance. I have never bought anything from them, but they were very good to deal with.

Here's a link to their product page. They also have a 1.2mm and a 1.5mm gasket on their site for the same price.

http://shop.edoperfo...mm-p-10154.html

*edit accidently said Kameari instead of Tomei

Edited by zack_280

• 1 month later...

im almost done with my turbo build and need a metal headgasket and bearings to start reassembly and was looking at the tomei headgaskets but on their site its a 90.5 bore? i did .040 with 87mm forged wiesco pistons wouldnt that create some problems being to big? i know stock they are 1mm bigger bore on the headgaskets

• 2 months later...