HybridZ

My code wheel and vr set up

theramz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is that the correct location for the missing tooth @TDC or is this mockup?

It's just a mock up. Actually I sold the engine to a guy in CA. He is putting it in a nice '73 with MS so I imagine we will be hearing from him.

post-2925-062209300 1309181051_thumb.jpg

It's just a mock up. Actually I sold the engine to a guy in CA. He is putting it in a nice '73 with MS so I imagine we will be hearing from him.

The engine is very clean as someone else said. I purchased some of the other components I know I will be needing for my swap and when I'm closer to starting work, I'll start a build thread.

Right now I'm also making sure I have an accurate and complete wiring diagram to follow.

--James

Thanks. I'm doing this upgrade for my MS eventually and am a little confused on where the gap goes. DIY says 6 teeth ahead of the sensor, but does that mean 6 teeth before TDC?

In short, no.

The VR sensor and 36-1 crank trigger wheel must be set in the correct relationship to each other. With the engine at TDC for cylinder #1, this relationship is:

EDIS-4: missing tooth is exactly nine teeth (90°) ahead of the VR sensor,

EDIS-6: missing tooth is exactly six teeth (60°) ahead of the VR sensor,

EDIS-8: missing tooth is exactly five teeth (50°) ahead of the VR sensor.

Note that you have a choice where to place the sensor, IF you can shift the wheel. It is a good idea to build the VR sensor bracket so that you have a degree of radial adjustment (closer/farther from the wheel) and angular adjustment (closer/further from TDC). Also, bear in mind that most automotive engines rotate clockwise when viewed from the front, except many Honda engines.

Source: http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/EDIS.htm

The edis-6 needs the 60 degrees. The 60 degrees between the missing tooth and vr sensor can be positioned anywhere around the toothed wheel edge, so long as the 60 degrees are set in the correct relationship with the engine using engine TDC as a reference point.

I hope that is more clear.

Edited by jthom5147

• 2 weeks later...

In short, no.

Source: http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/EDIS.htm

The edis-6 needs the 60 degrees. The 60 degrees between the missing tooth and vr sensor can be positioned anywhere around the toothed wheel edge, so long as the 60 degrees are set in the correct relationship with the engine using engine TDC as a reference point.

I hope that is more clear.

yes thank you

As for their relationship in general, no, the mock-up depicted in the picture is not accurate. The missing tooth is "behind" the vr sensor in the pic. Since the rotation of the engine is clockwise the missing tooth needs to be 60 degree more clockwise than the vr sensor. I.e. if the crank pulley is a clock face, the vr sensor is at 12, missing tooth is at 2, so long as the engine is at TDC (or whatever number for the vr sensor you wish, and n+2 for the missing tooth).

Edited by jthom5147

with this setup can you have all accesories??? i like my power steering and a/c. so far thats been what holding me back from going this route.

AC yes ps no. I made this for my S30. We have to muscle our cars around but AC is a must. A larger diameter code wheel and different adaptor hub might allow for the ps pulley. I spaced it out away from the damper to avoid any possible feedback. In fact the stock fan won't quite clear. James said he will be using electric fans.

AC yes ps no. I made this for my S30. We have to muscle our cars around but AC is a must. A larger diameter code wheel and different adaptor hub might allow for the ps pulley. I spaced it out away from the damper to avoid any possible feedback. In fact the stock fan won't quite clear. James said he will be using electric fans.

4 row alum radiator with alum shroud and dual electric fans! :D

The stock intake side and AC bracket bolts are unhindered by Tom's setup. I'm not so sure about the PS (none of the s30's i work on have had it installed).

• 3 weeks later...