HybridZ

ZX distributor upgrade questions

I am about ready to go to Pick n pull to acquire a distributor, but the only distributor I can find is a 1983 maxima distributor. I looked up the part numbers for distributor and it is the same? What do you guys think? I figure it would directy bolt up with no problems but am i wrong?

thanks!

Same as the ZX, but I believe the 83's have a second connector on the dissy for advance / retard. You have to read in the FSM to figure out how it functions. If it doesn't have a bosch connector on the dissy body then it's identical to the E12-80 on the Z's (but even if it does, it's identical to the 83's!)

regardless of the distributor you get, tear it down and check to see how much advance the distributor has.

I would pull the dist base with it, not knowing what car this is going on. The distributor bases are different between 72 and 83 Z's. I don't know what year the change happened, if it was with 280z or 280zx, or somewhere in between.

While in the yard, Check the bushings, Inspect the magnet, coil and stator, points plate, and the vacuum module.

If 2 or more things above are bad it may be cheaper to buy a refurb unit from Rock Auto.

as tony said, Ensure you are running a E-12-80 control module. If it has 2 connectors there is a circuit that can be built to eliminate the ignition retard portion of the module. I personally would just get the E12-80 module.

Hope that helps.

It's not really a 'circuit', you just short the pins in the Bosch connector---that's all the temp switch does on the 82/83.

I had this same distributor on my car, it was difficult to get less than 11-13 degrees at idle. This may not be an issue. Other than having advance like that at idle they are identical and without the shorted connector it worked fine in my L28.