HybridZ

Steering Wheel Question

WreZ

So i recently acquired a Momo steering wheel from a friend but it came with a boss for a Pontiac fiero. I've never done anything related to a steering wheel on these cars so I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the boss will fit the s130, i realize that common sense says that the splines won't match because they're of different makes but i figured I'd ask before blowing $80 on a new one

Also my haynes manual makes removal and installation of the wheel sound scary (drilling, self sheering screws...) is it really that hard or does it just sound that way?

Its been awhile, but I don't remember having to mess with the screws to get the steering wheel off. I know I had to do that to remove the lock assembly, that sucked. Should be able to just loosen the wheel nut and remove. Can't answer the spline question though. Just try the fiero one out, you never know. But it probably won't fit.

Getting the wheel off is a pain though, I just had a flashback about that from when I installed my momo. Good luck

thanks tec, the only reason i wasn't pulling the wheel off instead of making a thread was because i was afraid of the whole screw thing. Here goes i guess, i'll post the results if it ends of fitting

Ok for those who care the GM boss WILL fit the splines on the s130 steering shaft, but the collar on the s130 is shaped like a cone instead of just a plain cylinder like it is on the GM, so you will either have to have the boss chamfered or find a shaft collar that is straight and will fit the s130 steering shaft. While i haven't had mine chamfered yet the wheel still works fine, i am sort of paranoid that without a proper fitting collar it will come off while i'm driving or something but other than that its fine.

I'm assuming you got the wheel off but for future reference you loosen the nut off most of the way leaving about four or so turns on the shaft. Just reef on the wheel or rock it side to side as you pull it forward. If it comes off forcefully the nut will keep it from caving your chest in.... or get a steering wheel puller....

I'm assuming you got the wheel off but for future reference you loosen the nut off most of the way leaving about four or so turns on the shaft. Just reef on the wheel or rock it side to side as you pull it forward. If it comes off forcefully the nut will keep it from caving your chest in.... or get a steering wheel puller....

also there is an old trick I got taught that gets it off without reefing it. I personally take the nut off (but you can leave it on a little bit) then smack all around the wheel with your fists like banging on a door but harder. Go around 2 or 3 times and then it will just come off with a small amount of force. It took me a few times to do it the first time but its easy as :>

yeah apparently i was reading the section on removing the steering lock because the wheel was just a single nut like most cars (i admit my stupidity) but now all is well and i have my new momo installed and it is the epitome of comfortable. I recommend getting a puller, my friend nearly broke his nose when he tried to pry his off by hand