HybridZ

Let me get this straight

I searched and wanted to make sure I had this correct before I dropped 350 bones on a new clutch.

Motor: L28et stock 240mm flywheel

Trans: 82 N/A 5 speed

Cluth: (going to order) ACT Street clutch w/ HD pressure plate.

From what I gather the two things I need to mate these items is the throwout fork, and throwout bearing collar from a 280zx turbo or 2+2 (240mm flywheel). Am I correct? :huh:

And dumb question but the throwout fork should have no fitment issues in my car? (82 N/A)

Some like the Z32 Throwout Arm as it's constructed from thicker sheetmetal in the stamping, but otherwise dimensionally identical to the L-Engine unit.

The collar from any late five speed should work---I know of no "2+2" collar, only late L28...

Ok, release bearing collar=throwout bearing collar? And Tony, I can pick get one of those forks from Oreily's or Advance right? Have to order one but can it be done for a decent price? Nearest decent junkyard is two hours from me.

Dumb question but are all the z32 throwout forks the same? And I can see why the z32 would be more popular as I have heard of people bending the T-5 throwout forks with HD pressure plates.

Edited by stretchnuts

THAT is the reason for the Z32 fork!

There ARE different height collars, if you order a complete clutch kit from AZ or some of them, they will come with the collar. I have a 78 Coupe throwout collar on my 73 240Z with an L28ET and 83 ZX N/A five speed. This '2+2' collar everybody seems to think exists in reality is just an L28 Five Speed Collar.

It's installed Cover Diaphragm Height that dictates collar length. Someone should really measure it referenced from either flywheel face or crankshaft pilot bushing area and cross it to the appropriate collar length.

That way, with a depth mic you can take two measurements and know it will work BEFORE assembling it. Or by measuring your installed diaphragm finger height referenced off the crankshaft, know which collar to order.

If you see a stock L24 and stock L28 assembly, you will see the height difference in diaphragm height, and the length of the TO Collar will start making sense.