HybridZ

Roll Cage Mounting Point Thickness ?'s

Hey folks,

Summer's coming round, which means time to do car work!

I've come to the point where I'm contemplating my roll cage mounting points. I'm pretty set on location for the main hoop, but I'm not quite sure what thickness metal to use to make the points.

I pick up metal from onlinemetals.com so anything they carry I can get. I found I need an angled piece, a 4x4 meeting a 5x4 piece at a 90* angle. The problem is thickness. The main hoop is a bolt on style, so it needs to be strong enough to not sheer when it is held in with 1 fairly large bolt on each side with 8 bolts in the middle.

DSCN1462.jpg

(the two main points for the center hoop on either side)

I have some 16 gauge, but I feel I may need thicker, or should I just make triangle braces to increase strength?

I'm tempted to buy one of the large 5x5 angle pieces, but it seems quite thick.

Link to 5x5

Help is appreciated!

For SCCA the minimum mounting plate thickness is .080", not 3/16". Also, the maximum mounting plate area is 144 square inches and no longer then 15" on any one side. Again, the roll bar in your picture above is not allowed at any SCCA sanctioned track events. You can probably run it at a SCCA SOlo2 event.