HybridZ

Mounting issue

First off, I'm new so pardon any ignorance; Im trying my best and used the search function but can't seem to find anyone with my problem.

I recently purchased a swapped 240z. I love the car, but always felt something weird about the shift location. Upon tear down I noticed that the powertrain is mounted in a way that produced a bizarre angle!

Here is a picture of the shifter in neutral!

240zshifter.jpg

I thought it was just a tranny mount issue, but I took a balancer to my intake and saw this!

motorbalance.jpg

Im not sure what mounting kit I have, I think it may be custom.

Driver Mount:

240zdrivermount.jpg

Passenger Mount:

passengermount.jpg

As it sits:

240zenginesit.jpg

Needless to say this is really annoying. I was wondering if I could correct this by refabbing a driver mount with more angle in order to rotate how it sits a few degrees. Other than this cosmetic flaw, it drives awesome; no bad drones or banging/clunking. Shifts smooth. I like the way the motor sits up against the firewall, I'd just like to correct this cause it looks like it shouldnt be this way.

Am I being too picky?

Thanks guys.

Reading your sig, you and I have the same exact set up. Is yours also tilted?

If I were to switch to a t56, would it also tilt this way? For some reason I thought it was a motor mount issue seeing as the motor is also tilted to the left.

whats the thickness of your shims [the aluminum parts ] might have right and left switched .The t5 bellhousing is clocked 15 degrees rotating the shifter towards the driver . your motor may not be tilting but the shifter is I suggest measure and confirm that the right size shims are insalled on the correct side 1.25" on the pass side and 2.25 on the drivers side. I would also try a laser level (rotary type) to measure the car on a level surface tires at pressure measure the srut towers to see if they are level to the ground measure to the valve covers see if the is a measuerable difference. good luck {this method detected the sag in the middle of my car before restructuring)

driver has the thicker shim, they are on the correct side, if they were switched i would get MORE tilt.

would'nt suggest that could cause clearance problems with the stearing shaft If you have the cash t56 is mounted straight up some can be configured to place the shifter in two mounting positions but also opens problems with speedo and space in the trans tunnel I kinda thought the shifter looked out of place (cut off wheel took care of that )just made the hole bigger (does not help if you keep the console)The pic that you posted of the shifter looks like possibly that the tail shaft is'nt centered maybe somebody tried to correct a drive line vibration,also the shifter itself is specific to the t5 it has a bend to compensate for the tilt of the tranny tilting the motor will give your shifter a weird angle in the upper gears.

The 15 deg tilt is not a problem and can be cosmetically covered up as can be seen in my build pictures. By modifying my center consol with some sheet plastic (making the shifter hole smaller), shortening the shifter and cuting down a leather shift boot I completely covered up the 15 deg tilt. Just be sure to cut out enough of the tunnel so that the shifter tower doesn't touch the tunnel when the engines torques over.

Another approach, you can buy a B&M or Hurst shifter that has a 15 deg tilt that make the shifter look straight. I tried both and didn't like the look and the Hurst shifter kept jamming. I am using the stock Camaro T5 shifter cut down and it shifts perfect.

The other option that has been used here at HybridZ is to substitute the tilted Camaro bell housing with one from a Corvette or some other chevey BH which then tilts the T5 shifter to upright position, but then you will have to fabricate a tilted rear trans mount to compensate for the 15 deg tilt. A lot of extra work since you can cover up the tilt by being creative with the center console/shfter boot arrangement.

Note: in the finished picture the shifter is in 1st gear. The shifter looks centered when in neutral.

Suggestion: Purchase the Jags that Run (JTR) manual as it will explain many of the questions you have about 240Z V8 swaps. There are many pictures of various transmission/bell housing combinations.

Google "Jags that Run"

post-178-035643400 1307586638_thumb.jpg

post-178-063941100 1307586655_thumb.jpg

post-178-074823000 1307586679_thumb.jpg

Edited by Miles

• 5 months later...

I would like to add you can also screw a metal sleeve onto factory shaft an place stock 240 z shifer in the other end. when you do this no modification ir=s required. my shifter looks stock and with the hood closed you would never know its a chevy trans. takes about an hour, Im just sayin :rolleyes:

I would like to add you can also screw a metal sleeve onto factory shaft an place stock 240 z shifer in the other end. when you do this no modification ir=s required. my shifter looks stock and with the hood closed you would never know its a chevy trans. takes about an hour, Im just sayin :rolleyes: