HybridZ

S130 vs Z31

OK so I have heard that early 300zx rear ends pretty much match up to 280zx rear end but here is the thing....I have a 1981 280zx and I want to put in a 2jzgte in her, I know there was a thread on this before but my brother has a friend they may be willing to let one of his 2jzgte go to me for cheap... I have heard of it being done in 300zx's but not sure how it would work and what mods would be needed to make it work...my car has to be taken completely apart anyway so I figured why not just want to see what you guys think.....

So apart from cost of motor and tranny...does anyone know what mounts are different between the 280zx and 300zx

Edited by BrownBomberZ

are you talking the idff? or teh whole rear subframe?

the diff will bolt in, assuming you already have an R200 (at which point you're only upgrading to a worn out CLSD instead of an open)

if you've got an R180 then you'll need axles from a 280ZX that has an R200.

oh hey, have you heard of this new thing they call "punctuation?" it makes it easier for people to understand what you're saying and doesn't make you look like a complete idiot.

Edited by PurePontiacKid

So what would be good to replace the Diff with? that is what doesn't need to be moded a lot and that can handle the 2jzgte? And yes I have heard and have never a had problem in the past with ppl not understanding me. Doesn't bother me if ppl think I am an idiot I won't lose sleep over it. plus i am writing all this on my phone while I am at work so that doesn't help.

There are many ways to skin your rear ended cat. There are a lot of threads on this subject, from long R200 open swaps to long R200 + short R200 centers to long R200 + C200 straight axle centers to S13 cradle swaps.... almost everything has been done so pick what you think suits your application if its a sub 500hp road car the R200 will be fine from what I have seen the R180 will last a month to six months in a 250hp+ roughly driven car :S (been through 5 now :P) and R230 is obviously the strongest but will take the most money and time to fit.

hope that helps

IMO: R200 open + 2J in a road car on street rubber should not have any issues.