HybridZ

Small backfire possibly due to afm?

I have been wondering I drive a 1977 280z and my car was on the highway one night after work and I started having popping sounds coming from my afm since then I have replaced my afm. The question I am having however is that when I installed the new to me used afm on my car I started having a really bad rich mixture causing my car to be flooded with gasoline and backfire of course out of my exhuast has anyone had this sort of problem before? I have replaced the all sensors except thermotime and engine temp sensor. All new pigtails and the tank has been cleaned all new spark plugs the timing is perfect. These problems just started apearing after the old afm failed and I installed the used one. Before the afm failed the car never had a problem with a rich mixture.

Do the numbers match on the AFMs? And have you tried putting the old one back on to make sure the new rich condition is from the new-old AFM?

Unfortunately I do not have the old afm anymore. I moved and it was misplaced.

What year car the used AFM come from? How did you determine the old AFM was bad?

How much time passed from when you replaced the AFM to when you determined you had a rich problem? If the car sat for a while there could be several reasons for rich running.

Just trying to help with describing your situation. Details are good...