HybridZ

Plug in diode

jay28

Hi all

Ive just installed a new alternator, however it's an internally regulated alternator so I'm now having problems with run on. I'm looking for a plug in diode. If someone has one or knows where ide get one that would've great.

Thanks

Jay

Maybe you read about the MSA conversion kit - http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/12-4068

Did the engine run on before? And did you just swap an internally regulated alternator for an external, without rewiring? I'm not even sure what would happen if that was attempted.

What year car and how did you get in to this situation?

Yeah. I bought a new alternator not realising it was an internally regulated one. I just swapped them straight over without changing anything.

Then of course I had the run on issue. I was then told I need a diode but wasn't told any rewiring was required?

It's an early 1974 260z austrailian import

Thanks

I have a 280Z that was externally regulated so can't speak directly to a 260Z. But you now have two regulators in your charging circuit, the internal and the external. I'm not sure what happens when you do that. Have you checked voltage at the battery with the engine running?

The easiest way for you (wiring challenged) might be the MSA adapter in the link I sent. It just plugs in to the plug that connects to the external regulator. All of the "re-wiring" is internal to the plug and the diode is inside.

I sent you the wrong link, this one has just the adapter - http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/SRC19/12-4067

Or you could get the right alternator for an external regulator (but check your regulator also).

Here is a link that has the 240Z alternator swap described, with the diode part number. It's not too complicated if you want to save a few dollars or don't want to wait for the MSA adapter. The alternator swap is about halfway down the page, Part 7 - http://datsunzgarage.com/engine/

Thank very much for your help. I just ordered the plug in diode in the link you sent me.

I never checked voltage at the battery bit I assume it would have been very high?

The battery wasn't great anyway so I'll be getting a new one when the diode arrives. Hopefully it will sort it.

Thanks for the links I'll have a read through them all now